[RESOLVED] New Video card, now the sound card doesn't play!

Thread: [RESOLVED] New Video card, now the sound card doesn't play!

DrWitch

Post New Video card, now the sound card doesn't play!

I just installed a BRAND NEW Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI video card today... along with 64 MB of more RAM (192 MB total). I am running Win 2000 Pro. Now my Ensoniq Audio PCI 1370-1371 sound card doesn't play AT ALL. Device Manager shows no conflicts whatsoever. It worked just fine before I installed the video card. Any ideas? I re-installed the video card and sound card twice (individually). Since both Diamond's website and Microsoft's websites are unreachable from my area right now, I am pretty SOL for answers at the moment. (Backbone or a router is screwed up somewhere).

I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick (game connector, not USB) installed on the game port on the sound card... I wonder if that could also be part of the problem?

Anyone who can help, info is greatly appreciated!!!

Lightbulb

I'm going to start with the basics, because I have done this a hundred times, added a device and had problems that were not really problems.
    First of all, make sure the speakers are powered on and plugged in to the correct port in the sound card, and turned up to a reasonable volume. Second, does the sound card show in Device Manager? If it does, check the Multimedia control panel applet (I assume Win2K has something like that) or the Creative Mixer and make sure that the sound is not being muted by a simple checkbox. Also check the volume level outputs there and turn them up if necessary.
    Also try moving the card up or down a slot and reinstall the drivers if all of this is no help.

Also check the PCI section in the bios and check the settings of the specific PCI slot.

It may be trying to set non legacy or something like that.
    Man can not live on beer alone....But he can sure try!

DrWitch

ok... I figured it out... it was the Sh**ty drivers that were supplied with Win 2k. I FINALLY was able to get into Diamond's FTP (but still not their website, go figure!) and I D/L'ed ALL of the S540 drivers and BIOS updates ever released. I had the latest BIOS for it, so's I just installed the latest drivers... and did the same with the creative card, too. I never used an actual Creative driver for this card (just M$ drivers) and was surprised to see two new apps in my systray... Creative Mixer and Disc Detector. Nice and handy-dandy, but I like the old Windows volume control better, though... now that I got everything up and running OK, I'm gonna try to get thte old volume contol app back, then I should be happy...

Thanks for the suggestions, though... hope they'll help someone else in the future.