SBLive! Owners
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SBLive! Owners

Talking SBLive! Owners

I found this page, http://www.viahardware.com/scfaq.shtm that should help you to stop the insanity. Just becuase SBLine! is out there doesn't make it the best and only solution. Also, this may help some of the problems you have been experiencing..

[link repaired by sowulo]
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

You added a comma at the end of the link
    Try this http://www.viahardware.com/scfaq.shtm

And what are you saying? I should ditch my $100 sound card and get a new one??
    ...I don't get it...

Originally posted by mahdi:
    You added a comma at the end of the link
    Try this http://www.viahardware.com/scfaq.shtm

And what are you saying? I should ditch my $100 sound card and get a new one??
    Yes, well, you shouldn't have spent $100 on something that is having so much problems. However, if you are not having problems, then you shouldn't ditch anything.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

I've got an SBLIVE! Platinum with no probs, it runs great. that coupled with my DTT2500 shakes the windows when I'm either playing a game or just jammin to MP3's.
    But the turtle beach is a great card, I've heard it and it sounds great. Kenwood also has a new card out that is excellent.
    Suffice to say there ARE alternatives.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Originally posted by Budster64:
    I've got an SBLIVE! Platinum with no probs, it runs great. that coupled with my DTT2500 shakes the windows when I'm either playing a game or just jammin to MP3's.
    But the turtle beach is a great card, I've heard it and it sounds great. Kenwood also has a new card out that is excellent.
    Suffice to say there ARE alternatives.
    Well, I personally don't like the SB line of Cards. However, I am sure other people are satisfied with them. The thing is, SBLive! doesn't appear to compitible with some VIA chipsets and even some Intel based chips.

The suggestion to move to a alternative card is for people who are having random lockups and other issues.
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Originally posted by Lycia:
    Well, I personally don't like the SB line of Cards. However, I am sure other people are satisfied with them. The thing is, SBLive! doesn't appear to compitible with some VIA chipsets and even some Intel based chips.

The suggestion to move to a alternative card is for people who are having random lockups and other issues.
    Agreed, and again the turtle beach is a great card for a great price. If your having probs with an SB and are sick of it that would be a good alternative.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Cool

well, I FINALLY got my system running again WITH the SBLive!. So I'm going to be content with it for quite a while now (the average lifespan of my sound cards are about 3 years before I upgrade them )
    ...I don't get it...

Originally posted by Lycia:

Even though you HATE the SBLive!, I still think you aight. Can't help but like you, cause even for a SB hater like you, you still try to help us SBLivers.

Thanx Lycia
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Originally posted by b4uc1i81:
    Even though you HATE the SBLive!, I still think you aight. Can't help but like you, cause even for a SB hater like you, you still try to help us SBLivers.

Thanx Lycia
    Well, why should I blame you guys who buy SB for SBLive!s faults? Not your fault. Besides, if something helps you, it helps me.
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

It's amazing to hear all of the problems that are out there with VIA chipsets and SB Live! cards (maybe it's the combo of VIA and AMD??). I have both (and I only spent $40 on the SB Live! Value) and they run flawlessly. I even have the fsb of my Intel CuMine cpu running at 150 MHz (up from 133), and I have no problems. My only complaint is that the SB Live does not have very good DOS support, nor is its legacy SB16 support very good. Considering that Creative was the pioneer of both, their current line of cards should at least support them 100%. However, Windoze support is exceptional, and the price I paid was definately right.

Originally posted by campos562:
    It's amazing to hear all of the problems that are out there with VIA chipsets and SB Live! cards (maybe it's the combo of VIA and AMD??). I have both (and I only spent $40 on the SB Live! Value) and they run flawlessly. I even have the fsb of my Intel CuMine cpu running at 150 MHz (up from 133), and I have no problems. My only complaint is that the SB Live does not have very good DOS support, nor is its legacy SB16 support very good. Considering that Creative was the pioneer of both, their current line of cards should at least support them 100%. However, Windoze support is exceptional, and the price I paid was definately right.
    Actually, at www.viahardware.com they jsut announced that VIA will be releasing and offical bug patch in the next 4n1 driver revision.
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

I have an SBLive! on an Asus A7v133, and I found this to work if anybody has probs with IRQ's and some other stuff...

Just install the card on PCI #3 and assign IRQ 11 to it....voila! windows won't bother anymore with lockups. (I do have BIOS 1004)

Anyway that's an option if you want to try it out...
    Believe me...Fixing up Windows is a lot harder that healing any illneses...

I didn't even know there was a problem with Via chipsets and the Live! I was have major problems with the Diamond Monster Sound MX300. I loved it in my BX motherboard, but on my ABit KA7, it caused all kinds of problems. I switched to the Live!, as it was the only other card I had laying around at the time, and it has worked perfectly since day 1.
    That TurtleBeach card sounds good though. It'll probably be in my Linux box, when I get around to buying the parts for it.
    end of line.

Originally posted by Kymera:
    I didn't even know there was a problem with Via chipsets and the Live! I was have major problems with the Diamond Monster Sound MX300. I loved it in my BX motherboard, but on my ABit KA7, it caused all kinds of problems. I switched to the Live!, as it was the only other card I had laying around at the time, and it has worked perfectly since day 1.
    That TurtleBeach card sounds good though. It'll probably be in my Linux box, when I get around to buying the parts for it.
    sadly, Ky, my MX300 is having problems with my VIA chipset too. But I still got lockups when I switched to the SBLive!. Plus I didn't like the sound. So when I get a chnace I will switch to Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Because of a recent failed AMD experiment, I ditched an SBLive XGamer for a Santa Crus. Didn't solve my issue. Mine was a bad Mobo that was exhibiting the same symptoms that you guys all discuss with the KT7A raid and SB Live. This system now is Intel, but still using the Santa Cruz. In my home we have 5 PC's. All but this one use SB Lives. I love the card. Running it on an Abit LX6, Gigabyte GA6BX-c, Abit BE6-2 raid, and Abit BH-6. Never a problem. Used to have one on an Asus P2B-S too. Never a problem until AMD and VIA entered my home. But I do like the Santa Cruz as well. I just thimk you guys are giving SB'ers a bad rap, when the problem didn't occur until this Via chipset, so it their problem, not SB's
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.