[RESOLVED] Win2000 and K7M m/b missing LPT

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win2000 and K7M m/b missing LPT

zippyblip

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win2000 and K7M m/b missing LPT

I've just upgraded to WIn2K, and found that my cubase dongle doesn't work-because my LPT1 is no longer working. I've changed the BIOS, messed with the drivers, manually installed, but no avail-the computer doesn't PnP it!! What should I do?

StevePorter

Lightbulb

This is kinda drastic, but load REGEDIT and delete everything under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum" key. This will force W2K to rebuild your hardware database in the Registry. Be sure you have all the lastest motherboard, video, sound, etc., drivers available before you begin this process...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Darren Wilson

Steve

The Enum key isn't there in Win2k.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

Talking

Originally posted by StevePorter:
    This is kinda drastic, but load REGEDIT and delete everything under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum" key. This will force W2K to rebuild your hardware database in the Registry. Be sure you have all the lastest motherboard, video, sound, etc., drivers available before you begin this process...

Steve,read the question!
    Why so many people out where trying to solve
    problems using Windows-related solutions?
    If problem is hardware-related, You can't solve it using Windows 9X,ME,XXX, because Windows itself is THE BIGGEST PROBLEM!
    Take it easy.

Zippyblip,I have two simple questions to You:
    1.Is the LPT enabled as device with 378 adress and IRQ7 in BIOS settings? If no - it should be done. You might have to change LPT mode,though - it depends from what are You connected to LPT port.
    2.And is the LPT port shown as device with 378 adress and IRQ7 after POST in table?
    If no - You have hardware problem with Your MoBo. Try to test LPT port using test software and special loopback on LPT.
    If yes - well,I have to agree,it's Windows-related problem.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

zippyblip

Thanks for the info so far people-I have set the LPT to IRQ 7 with 0378, to no avail (although I will try again). Does anyone know a good test for the port? Is there a programme or command that could establish if the port itself is screwed? If it is, I presume I can just buy a PCI LPT port....?

I think,Sisoft Sandra http://www.softseek.com/Utilities/Be...390_index.html
    or even old Checkit can do that test.However,loopback is requared for full-mode testing.

Darren Wilson

Ruslan

I was under the impression that the Poster has just upgraded to Windows 2000 and his LPT port & Dongel were working on his previous Operating System. I could be wrong but that is what it read like to me.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

zippyblip

Cool

Thats right-the system used to work.
    Having done what was advised I have got it to see the port-I basically de-installed all the manual ports I had added, then systematically fiddled with the bios until W2K saw the port. About half an hour ago, in fact.
    Thanks everyone. Now to optimise the audio.........

Cool

Gotta love Windows , I think it is a love/hate relationship

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Originally posted by zippyblip:
    Thats right-the system used to work.
    Having done what was advised I have got it to see the port-I basically de-installed all the manual ports I had added, then systematically fiddled with the bios until W2K saw the port. About half an hour ago, in fact.
    Thanks everyone. Now to optimise the audio.........
    Hardly ever see a manually installed port actually work however sometimes if plug n play doesn't see it manually installing and then deleting again can trigger the pnp back into business....

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."