Fastest processor for Asus P2B

Thread: Fastest processor for Asus P2B

Question Fastest processor for Asus P2B

A guy in class has a Asus P2b 440bx board and asked if I was interested in buying it. Before I decide I would like to know what is the latest processor I could put in it. The manual with the board says p2 400. I went to the Asus site which says p3 600+. I've checked alot of sites but can't find what would be the maximum processor speed. If anyone has used one of these boards or knows how high I can go, or just any useful info on this board please let me know.
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

MacGyver

Hmm, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the motherboard manual may have been written before anything faster than a 400 was released into the market. Even after new CPU's came out, the manual was probably not revised and just continued to ship as-is.

I would tend to trust Asus' site, they don't have any reason to lie in this case.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

I understand that the Asus site has no reason to lie, but 600+ leaves it kinda wide open. I'm thinking it probably tops out at 800.
    "The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!" ~~~ Wooderson

Originally posted by GimpBizkit:
    I'm thinking it probably tops out at 800.
    May be.
    But also may be,what ASUS P2B BIOS can support only P3-600 max (and probably only Slot 1 processors).I'm not sure,though - I didn't try it. May be, someone else?

Darren Wilson

What is the Maximum jumper multiplier for the board? If I remember correctly it was 8 on my old P2B.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

8 is the highest multiplier for the board and it's a 100mhz fsb, but does that mean it can definately handle an 800mhz chip?

Darren Wilson

Check the voltage range of the P2B first. I know that they go down to at least 2v for the original Pentium III Katmai chips, but I am not too sure wether it will go down to the required voltage for the Coppermine core Slot 1 CPU's.

I have just checked Asus's site for reference and the following revision of teh P2B will take the 800 (8x100) PIII

Board Revision - R1.12
    BIOS Version - 1011

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited March 06, 2001).]

Thumbs up

i don't know which version of board he has, but i found the table on the asus site that shows the jumpers up to 800 so i think i can figure it out from here. thanks for your help guys.

PIII 800 (8.0X) 100Mhz FSB

BF0 : 2-3
    BF1 : 2-3
    BF2 : 1-2
    BF3 : 1-2

http://cgi.asus.com.tw/products/techref/Cpu/p3cpu.html

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

The board is revision 1.02. I saw the table on the asus site that says revision 1.12 will take the 800 chip, but in the manual updates the latest manual is for 1.02. is 1.12 a typo or has someone actually seen one?if it isn't a typo i still don't see anything about the highest chip for revision 1.02. i know i'm being very persistant about a board i'll probably buy for $40, but i'm a student. i'm poor