[RESOLVED] Original GE Force or GE Force II MX?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Original GE Force or GE Force II MX?

madmurr

Question Original GE Force or GE Force II MX?

Just looking for some opinions as to which type I should get...I made the mistake of buying a Voodoo 4...looking to upgrade...they both are going for about the same price (on Pricewatch) for the same amount of memory. Any help is appreciated.

StevePorter

Talking

You can see some comparisons of these cards (against the VooDoo 4, too) in this review:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...100_mx/5.shtml

Hope this helps...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

madmurr

Unhappy

I realize that the GE Force 2 (GTS/Ultra) is a superior card...my question was to compare the "original" GE Force w/ 32mb DDR and the GE Force 2 MX w/ 32mb SDR...thanx again.

3D Prophet II

Lightbulb

A lot of people have been complaining about the drivers for the GeForceII MX when their running Win2K. There haven't been as many issues regarding the original GeForce running Win2K but the GeForceII MX has a faster graphics processor on it than the original GeForce. I'd have to say go for the GeForceII MX if your going to play games an stuff using Win98 or Me. If your using Win2K I'd look into getting a ATI Radeon 32MB DDR or ATI RAGE MAXX 64MB video card.

I know, you asked about the nVIDIA boards not the ATI, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! And also, if you have or plan to get a DVD player for your computer, the ATI's run the movies better, their really good in that aspect! Just giving you some other options, that's all. And the RAGE MAXX's price has really dropped since the Radeon's come out, and I don't think ATI's ready to drop out of the race anytime soon.

Oh look, two green stars, I feel special!

[This message has been edited by 3D Prophet II (edited February 05, 2001).]

madmurr

Cool

Thanx for the reply 3D...just to clarify a little further - I'm pretty much a gamer running Win ME (think I'm gonna switch back to 98SE...ME has been acting weird and locking up lately...) I have a T-bird 850 on a Soyo K7VTA-B m/b with 256 Mb PC 133.

mahdi

It really depends on what your looking for price wise, you can pickup a GeForce 256 for less then $100 and even get a Creative Annialator Pro retail for about $130 (with a good game package also) I haven't looked to much into the GeForece II's but I don't remember much of an improvement with them. I have a GeForce 256 with a 1Ghz T-Bird and the whole system hauls, and considering that the vid card takes alot of weight off the CPU with it's GPU processor it's a big bonus no matter what you go with.