Bunch of lines going across monitor?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bunch of lines going across monitor?

Question Bunch of lines going across monitor?

I just formatted and reinstalled Windows 98. I have an A-bit motherboard, an ASUS Geforce DDR video card, and a Sony Trinitron Multiscan E200 monitor. I know about the faint lines that are supposed to be on it but I have lines that go all the way across the screen when there is text or graphics on the screen. The lines that go across line up with the text or graphics and the darker the text or graphic, the darker the line across the screen is. It is also the same height as the text or graphic.It isn't the monitor because it does the same thing on another monitor I have. I can't find any updated drivers, any ideas? Thank you in advance.

If the lines are evenly spaced across the screen then they are the tension wires, otherwise i would suspect the issue beeing your vid card... Try different resolution and refresh rates. also try your monitor on another system.

I'm just glad i have a nice LG Flatron.. Flat screen and no tension wires.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

The lines are only where there is text or graphics. So I'm pretty sure its not tension wires. I'll try it on another system and get back to you. Thx.

It works fine on another system and when I play Operation Flashpoint, the lines disappear. So it doesnt seem to affect my games that much if at all. I downloaded the latest drivers I could find but it still hasn't fixed it.

See if your monitor has a refresh button. Maybe that will help.

Also, try booting into safe mode, see if they appear then, also.

Has it always been like this or was it recently? Did you install or uninstall something around the same time it startedto happen?

You said the monitor works fine on antoehr system and you get the same problem with a different monitor on your system, sounds like video card.

Does your computer stand on its side, like a tower, or is it flat, like an under the monitor system? If its on its side, try removing then reseating your video card, esp if its agp.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

If it does not hapen in 3D then it's a video card issue. have it checked out or try a different one in the system. Chances are though your looking at RMA
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Ok, I've tried the refresh button, didnt help.
    I booted into safe mode, didn't make a difference.
    It just recently happened after I formatted and reinstalled Windows 98.
    I have a tower and I tried reseating it, again it didn't help. Thank you for trying though.

Matridom what does RMA mean? Thx.

[quote]Originally posted by tag0398:
    <strong>Ok, I've tried the refresh button, didnt help.
    I booted into safe mode, didn't make a difference.
    It just recently happened after I formatted and reinstalled Windows 98.
    I have a tower and I tried reseating it, again it didn't help. Thank you for trying though.

Matridom what does RMA mean? Thx.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Return Merchandise Authorization, basically sending the part back.

Back to the monitor thing...these lines are they faint lines that split your screen horizontally into thirds? Is it possible that you just did not notice them before? I reread this whole thread and I guess I am confused to the lines that you mention. They are part of a trinitron tube and they are always there. It is just that some things make them more noticable, such as reading text.

The lines have no pattern to where they appear. They only appear where there is something displayed on the screen but doesn't do it in games. In other words, they don't split the screen into equal parts or anything like that. Yes, they are horizontal, no vertical lines. I didn't notice them before I formatted and if they were there, then they weren't noticeable. If I knew how to take and put a screenshot up, I would. Then you could see what I was talking about.

If you want to take a screen print just hit the "print screen/sysrq" button(f13 ) then open MS paint and hit "control+v". Save it and your done.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

I knew how to take one I just don't know how to put it on the forum. Thx though. I tried the monitor on another system and it works fine. It's not the monitor obviously. I was using the same drivers as before I formatted and it worked before. Now I'm noticing the lines in my games too. Is it possible that my video card just took a dump when I formatted? Thank you for all your help.

Happening straight after a re-format suggests a driver problem, maybe a corrupted file? Does it still do it if you revert to a standard Windows VGA driver? If it does, I guess a fault in the DAC on the video card. Otherwise try to source a fresh copy of the drivers (even if it's not an update).

Lightbulb

Have you installed the correct monitor drivers? I've seen lots of sync problems between the video card and monitor when the video card tries to drive the monitor in an improper way, usually because the wrong monitor driver has been selected. Sometimes the monitor driver is just the "PnP Monitor", and that's not always the best. If you have the correct monitor drivers, try downward adjusting the refresh rate in Display Properties and seeing if your problem goes away. You may be over-driving the monitor, and that could eventually burn it out...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

I agree with Spaceman about incorrect drivers. Sounds almost as if something in the driver (either the card or monitor) is over scanning.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Yea, the lines are still there with the standard Windows VGA drivers. I have tried a few different drivers from the ASUS website and none have worked yet.
    I can't find any drivers online for my monitor. It is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan E200, and the driver that is installed for it is the CPD-E200. I assume that is the right driver. I've already tried turning the refresh rate and messing with the resolution, and it didn't help.
    I think I may just go out and buy a new video card. I know its not the monitor, I've tried everything I can think of with the video card, so I'm out of ideas. Thanks for all the help everybody but I'm gonna just go buy a new video card unless something changes.