Pentium III 450 mhz
    320 mb ram
    17" monitor
    4.4 gig SCSI hard drive
    30 gig ide hard drive 7200 rpm

Geforce 2 GTS 32 mb DDR
    300W power supply
    Dsl internet connection (Dsl modem)

I purchased and recieved a visiontek Geforce2 GTS 32 mb DDR video card. I installed the card successfully and have been through the latest and older drivers (including the drivers it came with, the detonator 3 drivers, and a few later reference drivers). This problem has occured while using all of them.

I found that whenever attempting to run a program that would change resolutions (ie a 3d game, in particular the game halflife) would suddenly lose its signal and stop receiving input from the video to the monitor. My actual system didn't seem to lock up, but I could never get it to regain signal unless I restarted.

I noticed that a few times when I restarted, the desktop resolution in windows was changed to 800 by 600. Also the screen was off center and dark streaks were present throughout the display. If I changed the monitor resolution to 1024 by 768, 640 by 480 or whatever it would then display perfectly fine.
    While attempting to figure out the problem I tried to change my desktop BACK to 800 by 600 resolution from whatever resolution I had changed it to(mostly 1024 by 768)..and I found I got the same problem, a loss of signal and a required restart.

640 by 480 resolution works fine, as well as 1024 X 768 and resolutions even higher than that.

In an attempt to avoiding having to use the 800 by 600 resolution at all I tried changing my halflife playing resolution to 1024 by 768 and all was well...untill I wished to exit the program in anyway I would get a loss of signal and have to ctrl alt delete restart(I couldn't simply ctrl-alt-delete to my desktop). I'm guessing that this program internally changes the resolution to 800 by 600 for a menu or something.

I see the inability to display this resolution a problem currently and in the future. I have read all of the geforce faq's and possible conflicts the card has with halflife.
    I must reiterate that this problem occurs in all programs, and in the desktop itself, not just Halflife.

-------------------------------------------------

Possible problems I have already examined:

irq conflict-no conflict present, card is using irq 11

Too little power being supplied-upgraded to 300W power supply from 200 W..same problem exists after upgrade

Driver problem- Initially used drivers which came with card..noticed the problem, tried det 3 drivers, same problem, tried 12.10 and 12.00 drivers and same problem..guessing its not a driver problem.

Monitor- made sure correct monitor detected, and not multiple monitor drivers present.

Previous video card was Savage 4 3d- I removed those drivers before installing card and new ones
    All programs worked with this card, 800 by 600 resolution worked with

HELP APPRECIATED!
    thx

Is the game a copy.
    Mine is and I get the same resolution change when exiting but nothing bad enough to have to reastart.

I 'm running an Asus 32 MB video card with 17" compaq.

Try reinstalling the game.
    and the latest detonator drivers from nvidia
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Did you read my entire post? I already examined those problems(reinstalled the game, latest drivers)....the problem is not exclusive to the game, k? Please read my entire post (even if it is long) if you wish to help, thanks anyway.

All your Tech are belong to us!
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Award Modular Bios v4.51 pg...
    I've been through the bios area of things.
    Would it really be source of problem if it worked with previous agp card?

To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Does your video card allow you to choose different refresh rates for different resolutions? If so, check what it is at 800x600. If not (which is likely especially if you are using the nvidia reference driver) I would then try choosing a hard low number overall refresh rate (like 85) instead of "optimal" in your setup and see if that's the source of the problem.

Also, if at all POSSIBLE, I would try your specific video card on another machine and see if you get the same problems, which is a hassle I know but it's the only way to isolate the problem to your CARD and not something else. If you DO this, I would NOT load the drivers that came with the card but rather the official 6.50 reference drivers from nvidia, since I'm 100% sure these are good drivers.

One other thing to try (this particular thing drove me CRAZY for awhile) - Even if you remove ALL of the old drivers from Windows via the conventional means ("Add / Remove programs, etc), there are often left over registry entries that will load the incorrect .inf or .vxd files for the video card EVEN IF you do a complete driver replacement via the "Find New Hardware" wizards. The only solution is to MANUALLY DELETE these files from your harddrive if you know what they are (if you reinstall your old video card, you can then find all the files in the video adapter listing in the "Hardware Profile" tab of the Control Panel ->Systems dialog box), or else get rid of all references in the registry (more difficult). I've had to do this more than once when installing a new video card.

Hope this helps,

Tony