GeForce MX , recommended ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GeForce MX , recommended ?

Red face GeForce MX , recommended ?

hey..
    i currently have a voodoo 3 3000 and a pentium III 450 mhz and much to my surprise ,most games run just fine - jedi knight II ,Return to Castle Wolfenstein.(almost unnoticeable stutter).
    please understand me..i like to play games but i'm not a fanatic who wants 500 fps or something like that ..i just wanna be able to play.

i plan to move to a Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz in a few days, will the geforce 2 mx do the job for me ?? will i be able to play opengl/D3D games with reasonable 3D performance and quality ??
    (maybe even good performance ????)

Thanks In Advance !!!

Is it an MX 200 or 400? SDR or DDR? what are you planning on spending.

because if under $100 will fit your budget, I'd check this out first
    <a href="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ATI7500-64" target="_blank">http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ATI7500-64</a>

this radeon 7500 would set you up a little better for newer games and the TV out is a big bonus (IMO )

actually 100$ is my budget...

and i was reffering to the gegorce2 mx 400 ddr...

sorry about that..

now before i go and question about the radeon..what about my question about the geforce ?

the geforce2 mx400 ddr is a middle of the road card, maybe slighty below middle of the road considering what is leading edge right now. . . but unless you are planning on spending $50 everytime the latest game comes out it should game just fine.

the radeon 7500 will blow it out of the water though and set you up a little better for the future as it is more on par with the lower higher end geforce 2 ultras and locker clocked geforce 3's.

I'm a little partial though. I've always been an ATI fan (love the architecture), and it seems that they are getting their driver development in better order now which makes their products even more attractive.

Question

what are the main differences between the geforce 2 and the mx ??

what do i "lose" by getting the mx ?

I just bought a Radeon 7500 this Sunday for 90 bucks. I've found that while the drivers are a little rough around the edges compared to my old Geforce 256, the speed and features are well worth it. I use my PC to watch a few DVDs and the Radeon gives much clearer quality. Also, the TV out and dual display support is a nice bonus. My old Geforce 256 is just as fast as a Geforce MX400, so since the Radeon blows away the GF256 it will obviously blow away the GF2MX400. I would definatly go with the Radeon.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

to tell you the truth ...i'm a 3dfx fan...but that's all over now..

i am considering the geforce because nvidia releases drivers quite often and the card supports 32 bit and transform & lightning and acceleration for movie playback...

does the radeon provide all of this ?
    is it a new card this radeon 7500 ?

[quote]Originally posted by Vulcan:
    <strong>to tell you the truth ...i'm a 3dfx fan...but that's all over now..

i am considering the geforce because nvidia releases drivers quite often and the card supports 32 bit and transform & lightning and acceleration for movie playback...

does the radeon provide all of this ?
    is it a new card this radeon 7500 ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Radeons do support T&L and ATI's DVD playback is almost always hailed as the best in the industry.

product spec <a href="http://www.atitech.com/products/pc/radeon7500/index.html" target="_blank">HERE</a>

[quote]Originally posted by kato2274:
    <strong>

Radeons do support T&L and ATI's DVD playback is almost always hailed as the best in the industry.

product spec <a href="http://www.atitech.com/products/pc/radeon7500/index.html" target="_blank">HERE</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

unless you fall into the trap of buying a 7000 or VE model as these have the T&L removed.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Banned

<strong>what are the main differences between the geforce 2 and the mx ??

what do i "lose" by getting the mx ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

can someone answer this please.

GeForce2 MX

Memory Interface: 64/128-bit SDR, 64-bit DDR
    Texels per Second: 700 Million
    Memory Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s

GeForce2 MX 400

Memory Interface: 64/128-bit SDR, 64-bit DDR
    Texels per Second: 800 Million
    Memory Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s

GeForce2 MX 200

Memory Interface: 64-bit SDR
    Texels per Second: 700 Million
    Memory Bandwidth: 1.3GB/s

GeForce2 Ti

Memory Interface: 128-bit DDR
    Pixels per Second: 1 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/s

GeForce2 Pro

Pixels per Second: 800 Million
    Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/s

GeForce2 GTS

Pixels per Second: 1 Billion
    Memory Bandwidth: 5.3GB/s

Hope this helps with the comparisons as a rough guide.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

[quote]Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>

can someone answer this please.</strong><hr></blockquote>

my understanding has been that there has always only been 1 core i.e. geforce2 all the other designations (GTS, MX200 MX400, Ultra, Pro, Ti etc etc) are based on the core clock speed and type and speed of memory.

a MX200 or MX400 isn't going to push the same core and memory speed as a Geoforce 2 GTS. They are value cards, priced and crippled accordingly.

I don't really like the idea. it just confuses consumers. But I can see it from Nvidia's perspective. If you have a run of chips that don't test at the geforce2 refernce speeds (for say the GTS models,) you don't have to trash them just send them off to be part of lower clocked geforce2 MX value boards. And if you get a nice yeild of chips that can test above reference speeds, then those can be overclocked and called "ultra" and carry a nice expensive price tag.

vulcan

this should give you a pretty good idea of where a geforce2mx stacks up. <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html" target="_blank">Tom's Hardware Guide</a>

look specifically at the 3d mark benchmarks as those are pretty much universally accepted amoung gamers as a good way to bench your video sub-system

before i take a look at tom's hardware guide.. you should know that the radeon you suggested is valued around 180$ here ...and the geforce 2 mx 400 with 64 mb and tv out is valued here 73$...

the radeon is too expensive here..

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

<strong>before i take a look at tom's hardware guide.. you should know that the radeon you suggested is valued around 180$ here ...and the geforce 2 mx 400 with 64 mb and tv out is valued here 73$...

the radeon is too expensive here..</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you want to stay with a low cost high performance card take a look at the GF 3 Ti200 or even the GeForce 2 GTS, you can pick one up online for somewhere in the neighborhood of $90-100 and htey have DDR memory and draw a substantial amount more polygons per second, not to mention the fact that the memory bandwidth is much higher
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-