[RESOLVED] seriously people Athlon or Pentium 4 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] seriously people Athlon or Pentium 4

prezmcmahon

I run an Athlon 1.2Ghz with DDR. It runs very well. Personally, I think they are better than the P4's in speed. They are definitely better in price. There is no contest in my mind. I used to be a hardcore Intel fan..but lately, I just can't justify it.

prez

Smor99

Jumping on the band wagon can be a costly and painful experience. Since all this technology is so new the motherboard and RAM manufacturers (not to mention all the periperals) have not kept stride. Lots of Driver conflicts, Speed resolutions and other matters have not been worked out. Not to mention the fact that you can fry a $200 plus chip if a $8.00 fan slips a bit.. My advice stay just below the max in a safe zone..

I hate to piss off amd or intel people but uh, you can't sufficiently test an AMD vs Intel anymore. #1 reason - different mobos. Get an old 233 pMMX and an amd 233 kX and run a mark on those. Those I'd believe. But all this crap about oh this 1.3 gig is faster, blah blah blah, DDR blah blah Rambus Blah blah, I could really care less since you can't make 'em pure 100% identical system. If that day EVER comes back, I'll say ok, this one is better than the other.

And about people saying the amd "kick the crap out of" an intel....let me ask you this...go dual an AMD...AWW you CAN'T , so as long as amd can't do dauling, they are NEVER going to have the market, and I'm waiting on how they're first ones are going to do....or if they even do it (I can't think if a reason why not).

Sorry.

I used to be a hardcore Intel supporter, as I and others have had bad experiences with clones in the past. The Athlon/Duron is clearly different, though. The new AMD chips are not only better than previous AMD offerings, they're better than Intel's currently available products and they've gained enough market acceptance that they've overcome the biggest hurdle to clonechips.

Because the AMD's are now so widely used, manufacturers are more aware of conflicts their products may have with AMD technologies, people are more aware of problems, it's easier to find info on the web about known conflicts (because more conflicts are known about). By gaining such a large share of the market, AMD has managed to close that most important stability/acceptability gap. While I'm generally skittish about clones, I'm not similarly skittish about the Athlon/Duron and I've been quite happy with my Duron at home.
    "Show me a perfectly smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's lying. Real boats rock." --Frank Herbert

ChowFun

What is the best board for AMD T-bird??