[RESOLVED] beep codes

Thread: [RESOLVED] beep codes

freddy the fisherman

Post beep codes

hi got a collegue , just come back from hols and started his machine up (pc chips m/b p111 500 slot 1 .....
    there was a big bang and the psu exploded ! he bought a new psu , but the power lights are on perminently.
    anyway he located a giga byte GA6BXC m/b ,supposed working all he is gettin is 1 long followed by 3 short beeps.

he dropped the cpu off at my house and it tests OK ,,,,
    ok whats blown (just a plain board sat on top of a phone book) nothing connected , just 1 stick memory and agp card and k/board.

1 long and three short beeps no vid output (has not tested h/d etc)

is there a key stroke to set defaults ,,have reset bios.

cheers freddy

Darren Wilson

To swt BIOS defaults the usual way is to hold INSERT down when you power the system on. One thing to check with the GA6-BXC is that on some revisions of the board there is a jumper on the top right hand corner of the board (by the DIMM slots) that is for if you wish to use a VooDoo3 or higher card. Try setting this jumper (if your board has it) to the normal non-voodoo setting if you are not using a voodoo AGP card.

Try a PCI card if you have one available.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

freddy the fisherman

cheers darren , no pci card on site as far as i know the machine was on a "basic" agp card , and is now.

do u think 3 + 1 beeps is video related ? or would you look elseware

cheers freddy

Darren Wilson

almost certainly video related. Try cleaning the contacts on the AGP card with a soft pencil eraser, and making usre that it is seated fully. Some video cards are a little thinner than others on the edge connector (ATI Rage cards most notably) so you could check that a firm fit is being made.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

Originally posted by freddy the fisherman:
    hi got a collegue , just come back from hols and started his machine up (pc chips m/b p111 500 slot 1 .....
    there was a big bang and the psu exploded ! he bought a new psu , but the power lights are on perminently.
    anyway he located a giga byte GA6BXC m/b ,supposed working all he is gettin is 1 long followed by 3 short beeps.

he dropped the cpu off at my house and it tests OK ,,,,
    ok whats blown (just a plain board sat on top of a phone book) nothing connected , just 1 stick memory and agp card and k/board.

1 long and three short beeps no vid output (has not tested h/d etc)

1 long and three short beeps - it's definately "problem with videocard" beep code - agree with Darren.

About first failed motherboard it's might be failed BIOS chip or voltage regulator(keyboard lights flashes constantly in that case).

So far as remember that 6BXC motherboard,that motherboard has one or two ISA slots, so, You can use also an old ISA videocard for checking.
    You see,if 3,3v voltage regulator on that board is fried,AGP slot as well as PCI slots become unavailable,and only ISA slot can work...The same effect,if that motherboard was flashed with wrong version of BIOS.

Darren Wilson

I have a sneaky feeling that the BXC has 3 ISA slots on it.

------------------

freddy the fisherman

ive got to agree you darren and Ruslan on the problem will take a stick of memory (ive only got pc133 lying around , and a spare agp / pci video card around tommorrow.

although ive told him to set the dip switches at 5x100 do you think it would post on any settings , or are we just gonna have to sit there pressing the insert key?

another comment he made to me over the phone tonight was "no" movement on video ....didnt even trip his monitor light , and he said "slight heat on the video card heatsink.

re the pc chips m/b ..... Ruslan : when new psu connected the board (leds) lit up (perminently) and the psu kicks in , NO power to the cpu fan

even with cpu removed and NO cards in the board , the psu is "running" (ps checked psu on another machine)

i think its a "worthy" end to a PCCHips m/b ,the only prob now is he has to buy a s/card and modem (his was inbuilt)

thanks lads ,,,any comeback tonight would be appreciated ,,,,,,(got to get up at 6.30am for the jap gp ........and drive 100m to mother in laws in afternoon !!)

cheers freddy