[RESOLVED] plz help identify this agp card

Thread: [RESOLVED] plz help identify this agp card

SHOman

Question plz help identify this agp card

I have an 8 meg intel740 based agp card and need drivers for it. I have no idea who makes this thing.

There is no fcc id on it. The intel chip of course.
    The only other significant chip has "Holtek"
    on it. On the back is a plain jane white sticker with "9811 740-8b 04283"

and on the back bottom right corner of the card
    itself is 98097b.

I tried other 740 drivers w/no success and even tried scitech display doctor.

Thanks

did you try the intel reference drivers? they should work for every i740 based card.

You can get the Intel drivers here:

http://developer.intel.com/design/graphics/drivers/

Something else to remember - the last time I tried to get an i740 card to display more than 16 colors I had a hard time too. What I ended up doing was changing the display driver to "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter", rebooting, then reinstalling the correct driver. Then it finally worked.

Steve

------------------
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

SHOman

Thank you.

Stevet,

I did try other 740i drivers but had alot of problems w/that.

Sounds like the problems i had. Some of the msgs said something about wrong driver or
    something else like that. I'll try out what
    you indicated. thanks again.

Anyone else?

Maybe this is not worth the hassle. Card was free anyways.

I absolutly hate working with intel 740 video cards. They have alright performance but are a nightmare to get to configure correctly. I mean you have to have usb suppliment installed and usb correctly configured, no cd dos drivers running, and a few other things. And for a real fun kicker have seen them do stuff like if one of the drives get kicked in to campatablity mode, the card makes the monitor go blank going into the OS. But you can not tell it is compatablity mode since you can only get in with safe mode where everything is already in compatiablity mode or just blowing out the whole registry for no apparent reason. When one comes in the shop, the first thing we do is pull the card and replace it with a differnt one, then pray we do not have to give away too much time getting it to work correctly afterwards. Personally I think they rank right up there with winmodems, cyrix, and mwave.

SHOman

lysergic,

Point well taken. I work with modems/winmodems alot. I get your point.
    This card is history.

Thx

Darren Wilson

I used to run an Asus V2740TV ( i740 ) agp card which, to be perfectly honest , never played up at all. It gave good results at the time ( comparable to the Riva128ZX )in all but OpenGL ( which no OpenGL ICD was available ). The only things you must make sure with these cards is that your motherboard has an Intel LX or BX chipset, a PII or PIII processor and all the USB / PCI Bridge patches/drivers installed. I have tried these cards on non Intel CPU's and come across these problems, but what do you expect from Intel, perfect compatiability with other manufacturers processors ???

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????
    visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

Another place you may want to look at is at Real3d, the co-developers of the 740i chipset with Intel and Intel owns 20% of Real3D. Their version of the card is the Real3D Starfighter AGP, and maybe their drivers will work, also they have some links and tips on making it work with non-Intel chipsets.
    http://www.real3d.com

Alot of the problems I have seen from these cards is in the recent influx of them in the reseller market. Starfighter released a PCI version of this card about 8 months ago and all the sudden we got an influx of repairs on these from people trying to install them on older pentium computers (nothing like telling a person that they have to upgrade to 98 if they want this card to work since it must have usb sub installed and they are running 95A). But have also seen them weird out on a PII/440 BX board. I just feel that for the money they are too much trouble to get to work correctly. Now dont get me wrong, if you follow the direction on a new build they go in pretty easy, but when you get a system after some one has bought one at best buys and they have corrupted windows after turning it the computer off 2 dozen times after it black screens it does not have a good cost/performance ratio after they get to pay for 2 hours labor to get it working again. Although it did have a nice bundle (like 3 full versions of games, a couple graphics programs, and a bunch of demos). That is why we still sell VoodooI when we can get them. Still the best bang for the buck for something like a 166MMX with a 1 meg trident video card.

The Intel chip does not work with and ALI chipset mobo and performs poorly on other chipsets. I've only had success using this card with VIA and Intel chipset mobo's.
    Favorite Customer Quote: I need help, my thingy doesn't work!