[RESOLVED] PCI GeForce2MX Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] PCI GeForce2MX Problems

Pendragon

Resolved [RESOLVED] PCI GeForce2MX Problems

I am trying to fit a PCI GeForce2MX
    to a Celly 500MHz Packard Bell computer, without any luck

The machine has a Giga-Byte GA-6WMM7 Rev 2.0 MoBo. (I have been to the Giga-Byte site and downloaded the manuals but the one I need is corupted, so no help there...)

The MoBo is one of those nasty boards with AGP graphics built in.

The onboard graphics is set in the BIOS, no jumpers. The chouse is "on board" or "PCI first"

With the "PCI first" selected in the BIOS and the GeForce card inserted in a PCI slot the machine fails to post. I have tryed to boot the machine with the monitor in the old VGA port with the card in but it fails to respond, so I guess that the MoBo knows there is a PCI card in a slot and dissables the on board graphics.

I have tryed the card in my computer and it works a treat.

I must be missing somthing in the BIOS.

Any suggestion???

------------------
    Regards Steve Morrish...

sly69

Lightbulb

Have you tried setting the PCI snoop in the BIOS, with PCI 1st.

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

lycia69

Uhm I don't think the Geforce II MX Comes in a PCI flavor. Your motherboard doesn't have a AGP slot, since the agp card is on board. Basically unless you buy another motherboard, you are out of luck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lycia69:
    Uhm I don't think the Geforce II MX Comes in a PCI flavor. Your motherboard doesn't have a AGP slot, since the agp card is on board. Basically unless you buy another motherboard, you are out of luck.</font>
    Wrong. Inno3D makes a PCI version of the GeForce2MX

Now, on to the problem. Definitely enable pallete snooping in the BIOS, as well as "Assign IRQ to PCI VGA" or something similar to that. Then set it to use the PCI video. Then open the case and install the new card.

Now, it sounds like you've got it going to look for the PCI card,and it's not finding anything.....possibly because there's no IRQ being assigned, or pallete snooping isn't happening. You may need to clear your CMOS and start from scratch....there should be a jumper on the motherboard for this. Have you checked some of Gigabyte's other sites? I think they have more than one FTP around. Also, e-mail them and tell them that the file is bad....mabye they can fix it.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

lycia69

I stand Corrected. I had looked and looked for a PCI MX card and couldn't find one. Oh well.

Pendragon

Thumbs down

Thanks for your help but still no luck...

I have tryed your suggestions without any luck.

It looks to me like somthing like this is happening...
    Power on- MoBo check to see if there is a card in the PCI slot. Finds one and disables the on-board graphics, but this takes time. by now the PCI card hasn't receved the correct signals from the MoBo and therfore dosen't respond. Dose this make sence???

We did manage to get the PC to post and load windows with the card in. With the moitor pluged into the on-board graphics (BIOS setting on-board only), and windows found the card, but if we set the BIOS to look for the card first the computer dosen't post.

Again the card works fine in another computer without on-board graphics.

------------------
    Regards Steve Morrish...

Silverman

Try putting the PCI MX card in different slots and no other cards installed.

Pendragon

Wink

I have tryed that, no luck.
    I may have to face the fact that this MoBo and that card are just not to be!!!

------------------
    Regards Steve Morrish...

johnnorth

Lightbulb

I have seen this problem many times on the Packard Bell Club Models. Basically the packard bell bios doesn't allow upgrade to Nvidia based cards easily. In the past the only way I have got these things to work is to download an updated Giga-Byte original bios.

However this can cause you more problems if you ever need to run your recovery disks. Because the bios will no longer contain the PB tattoo information to be able to access them for software builds and drivers.