Flat panels

Thread: Flat panels

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Post Flat panels

I am getting interested in getting a flat panel monitor and since I'm not too keen on all the brands of monitors, I have traditionally bought whatever was cheapest, but this time its bit me in the butt with a 17 inch KDS. Went bad after less than a month.

Could someone give me some pointers on flat panels "items to look for" when choosing a flat panel and some names to look at. I'm not worried about the size of the screen, I just want the big CRT off my desk.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Here is a start.. just take everything with a grain of salt..

<a href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/index.html" target="_blank">A Comparison Of 14 LCD Monitors </a>
    and

<a href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020322/index.html" target="_blank">Comparison of 15" LCD Monitors - Part II</a>

Edit: If possible, view the ACTUAL display you are going to buy, you need to deal with burnt pixels, and the less or more "periheral" they are the better. Also, if possible, view the display on the same OS you plan to use, and if it's XP, enable cleartype fonts.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Not sure what your price range is but here's a high end wrap up.

<a href="http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf/Hot_Topics/0502/0502hottopics_lcd_guide.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf/Hot_Topics/0502/0502hottopics_lcd_guide.pdf</a>
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

heres a little lcd vs crt article

The CRT monitor has been the dominant display device for desktop computers since they first appeared in the early 1980s. As the new millennium approaches, that is beginning to change. The quality and performance of large flat-panel displays (most notably large color liquid crystal displays or LCDs) has improved significantly, and prices have fallen. The LCD monitor is now the preferred option for some desktop applications.

Each technology (CRT vs. LCD) has advantages and disadvantages; neither is ideal for all situations. The primary advantages for the CRT are its lower cost, somewhat better overall image quality, reliability, and ease of set up. The LCD is much thinner and lighter, uses less electricity, and is much more versatile with respect to placement and viewing options. Each of these considerations and others are discussed below.

Cost
    An LCD monitor for a desktop computer costs at least $400 more that a comparable CRT monitor (i.e., one having the same imaging area). Inexpensive LCD monitors sell for about $800. A high-end unit, on the other hand, may cost as much as $2,500 — more than the selling price for most personal computers. Purchasers are usually not willing to pay these premium prices for typical desktop applications. However, prices should continue to fall, and as they do, more will make the switch.

Physical Attributes
    LCD monitors are much thinner and much lighter than comparable CRT monitors. The depth of a large LCD monitor is typically 3 - 4 in. (excluding the base). The depth for an equivalent CRT monitor usually exceeds 17 in., and its weight may exceed 50 lbs. This makes carrying and positioning very difficult, often requiring two persons. In contrast, the weight for a large LCD monitor usually does not exceed 20 lbs. Additionally, some LCD monitors can be attached to a wall or other vertical surface. Others can be pivoted 90 degrees into an upright or “portrait” position so that an entire 8 1/2 in. x 11 in. page of text can be displayed without scrolling.

The shallow depth of an LCD monitor makes it ideal for use in confined areas. It is also well-suited for use on a standard computer table (depth = 30 in.). An LCD monitor may be placed toward the back edge of the table to achieve a more comfortable viewing distance, for example. A large CRT monitor, on the other hand, has a much larger “footprint”, restricting the viewing distance and leaving little room for a keyboard. A user that cannot tolerate a short viewing distance must use an add-on keyboard shelf or tray or place the keyboard on his/her lap.

Image Quality
    Most users will not notice any significant difference between the quality of images displayed on high quality CRTs and LCDs when using business software applications (such as word processing, spreadsheets, business graphics, and presentation software). The CRT, however, is capable of better color rendering (usually noticeable when displaying photographic images) and provides the user with more control over the appearance of color images in general. Similarly, full-motion video generally looks better on a CRT.

Image quality for an LCD is optimized for only one resolution — the “native resolution”. Resolution in this context refers to the number of pixels (i.e., picture elements) both horizontally (in individual rows) and vertically (in individual columns). The native resolution for most LCD monitors is currently 1024 x 768. A few monitors have higher native resolutions such as 1280 x 1024. If the user chooses to use a lower resolution (i.e., a resolution that is lower than the native resolution), then image quality will be noticeably poorer. In contrast, the CRT works well at several resolutions.

Images displayed on an LCD at its native resolution often appear to be sharper than the same images displayed on a comparable CRT. This is due to:

the one-to-one correspondence between pixels in the displayed image and imaging elements in the display
    the LCD’s higher contrast

Some people prefer the higher contrast images; others do not.

Other Factors
    Power consumption for an LCD monitor is usually about 40 watts. In contrast, the power consumption for a comparable CRT monitor may be over three times as great. As a consequence, operating costs for LCD monitors are significantly lower. Failure of individual LCD imaging elements is very common. Loss of a few elements is annoying, but if a large number of failures occur, the display may become unusable. Since the problem is so pervasive, it pays to purchase only from vendors with a good warranty and liberal replacement policy.

Finally, set up for a CRT monitor is usually trivial. An LCD monitor, on the other hand, may require extensive adjustment to achieve optimum results.

Concluding Remarks
    Table 1 summarizes both the advantages and disadvantages of CRT and LCD monitors. A plus (“+”) indicates that a given technology (CRT or LCD) is better than the other technology with respect to a specific attribute, while a minus (“-”) indicates the opposite.

Clearly, an LCD monitor is superior for workstations in confined areas where use of a large CRT would not be practical. Similarly, an LCD monitor’s lower weight makes it easier to move and position on a work surface. Other features such as wall mounting and 90 degree pivot are useful in some situations. Low energy consumption and good to excellent image quality are other pluses. The most significant disadvantages for LCD monitors are higher cost and poorer image quality in some situations (low resolution images and video).

The CRT monitor, on the other hand, is less costly, more reliable, and easier to set up. Image quality is also better in some situations. The chief drawbacks of the CRT monitor are its size and weight.

The final selection of a display device for a desktop computer is usually driven by three factors:

the application (i.e., workplace characteristics and tasks)
    price
    and purchaser preferences

LCD monitors will become more prevalent as quality improves and prices continue to decline. Most industry experts believe that the LCD (or some other flat-panel technology) will eventually replace the CRT as the preferred technology for desktop computer displays.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Table 1 summarizes both the advantages and disadvantages of CRT and LCD monitors </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Table 1?? Where?
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Did`nt LCD monitors suffer or give poor performance in relation to fast moving pixels i.e. in games or has this been overcome ?

The pixel response time of LCD's has been improved, but still doesn't match CRT's. There will be some blurring of motion, dependent on the performance of the specific panel. However, like long persistence CRT's, the slow response reduces flicker, avoiding the need for high refresh rates.

the main reason i hate lcd screen is they are so poor for any image editing/creation due to often flacky colour reproduction and dismal contrast compared to crt monitors. the response time is less of a problem, unless you want to play games, that is.

nice for wordprocessing however.
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh