Thread: [RESOLVED] AGP Aperture

joelen

Post AGP Aperture

Got a question.

Here are my system specs:

Asus A7V (1007 bios)
    Via 4-in-1 4.25a
    T-Bird 1GHz
    Leadtek Winfast GeForce II GTS 64MB DDR RAM 4x AGP(Latest detonator drivers)
    (bios set to 4x AGP)
    512 MB RAM
    (2 x 128MB, 1 x 256MB)
    IBM 7200 RPM ATA 100 Drive on the Primary ATA controller
    SBLIVE OEM
    Windows 98se

Here is my problem:

The video card instructions say to set the AGP Aperture size at the same size as the SYSTEM MEMORY.

Originally, the system had only 256MB RAM, and with the AGP Aperture set to 256MB all was working fine.

However, when I added an additional 256MB RAM, you cannot increase the AGP Aperture size, as the highest setting is 256, and for some reason it does not perform as well. Lowering the AGP Aperture does seem to work a little better though.

No frame rates to report, but when running the 'Soldiers' demo fron nVidia's site, it runs really choppy if I have the AGP Aperture set at any higher than 64MB. The higher the setting, the choppier it gets.

Now if i am understanding properly, AGP Aperture size is how much system memory is available to the video card for storing texture information, so it doesn't have to reload the texture information everytime that it needs it- so in theory, the more memory available, the better it should run-- which DID seem to be the case when the memory was only 256MB ram.

Incidentaly, as I am sure someone will ask, I did test this with each stick individually, and got the same results...

128MB by itself - AGP Aperture at 128MB- fine
    256MB by itself - AGP Aperture at 256MB- fine

So--- any ideas? is what I am reading incorrect and i really should set it at 64MB?

Any help would be appreciated...

------------------
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joelen:
    Got a question.

Here are my system specs:

Asus A7V (1007 bios)
    Via 4-in-1 4.25a
    T-Bird 1GHz
    Leadtek Winfast GeForce II GTS 64MB DDR RAM 4x AGP(Latest detonator drivers)
    (bios set to 4x AGP)
    512 MB RAM
    (2 x 128MB, 1 x 256MB)
    IBM 7200 RPM ATA 100 Drive on the Primary ATA controller
    SBLIVE OEM
    Windows 98se

Here is my problem:

The video card instructions say to set the AGP Aperture size at the same size as the SYSTEM MEMORY.

Originally, the system had only 256MB RAM, and with the AGP Aperture set to 256MB all was working fine.

However, when I added an additional 256MB RAM, you cannot increase the AGP Aperture size, as the highest setting is 256, and for some reason it does not perform as well. Lowering the AGP Aperture does seem to work a little better though.

No frame rates to report, but when running the 'Soldiers' demo fron nVidia's site, it runs really choppy if I have the AGP Aperture set at any higher than 64MB. The higher the setting, the choppier it gets.

Now if i am understanding properly, AGP Aperture size is how much system memory is available to the video card for storing texture information, so it doesn't have to reload the texture information everytime that it needs it- so in theory, the more memory available, the better it should run-- which DID seem to be the case when the memory was only 256MB ram.

Incidentaly, as I am sure someone will ask, I did test this with each stick individually, and got the same results...

128MB by itself - AGP Aperture at 128MB- fine
    256MB by itself - AGP Aperture at 256MB- fine

So--- any ideas? is what I am reading incorrect and i really should set it at 64MB?

Any help would be appreciated...

</font>

If it works at 64 I would leave it there. I have 384mb of ram and an older GeForce card and it is set at 64.

------------------
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking!

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

Jensen

Same thing here.
    My motherboard bios dosn't allow higher settings for AGP aperture than 64MB.
    Works fine with 384 MB RAM.

------------------
    We have no polar bears in the streets in Denmark.

njbound2k

I have messed with that a few times and so no difference, I have 512mb RAM, and havent seen a difference. I leave that alone, I have and Award BIOS and due to the wonderful documentation they have about things like
    " AGP Aperature size" and what it can or should do, your left guessing and threorizing
    (did I say that right) about what it actually does. I say leave it how it is.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

If it works and you dont see a dif then dont worry about it, just hypnotize yourself into thinking that it is at 256.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Does this occur with any other game?
    If it dosen't then the demo hasn't been stablized and is trying to dump all the textures into the aperture.

Don't worry about not using all your ram for aperture size, its there to help systems with lower then 256 MB of ram anyway.

That's interesting, my vid card manual said to shoot for half the system RAM for the AGP aperture. Funny, though, that I have 128 MB of RAM, the aperture set to half of that, and it runs awesome. I'll say that 64 is the magic number regardless of amount of RAM in a given system. I've never tried with other settings, but why should I?

There is no significat gains by having 1/2 GB of RAM for 98SE. If it worked fine with 256, then leave well enough alone. A friend of mind said that having 512 on his 98 machine made his system a little slower than having 256.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Originally posted by b4uc1i81:
    There is no significat gains by having 1/2 GB of RAM for 98SE. If it worked fine with 256, then leave well enough alone. A friend of mind said that having 512 on his 98 machine made his system a little slower than having 256.
    We're talking AGP aperature size not RAM. Idealy your supposed to set your AAS to 1/2 of your RAM, But ultimately the best is to benchmark each setting to find what works best for you like you've already done.