I have an Emachine 400i2 desktop computer running Windows 98 (1st ed.). My computer came new with an internal Samsung IDE CD-ROM drive (model SCR-3232). The nominal max speed of this drive is 32x, but through testing with diagnostic software, I have discovered that the current speed at which the drive is set is always 20x, whether the drive is idle or reading a disk. I would like to set the drive to read at its max speed of 32x, and in an effort to do this, I have tried unsuccessfully to use a certain speed-setting utility program--CD-ROM Tool by Naiobrin Software. My questions about this problem are: Is this discrepancy between the advertised max speed of this drive and its current speed normal or is it possibly indicative of a malfunction of the drive? If it is not due to a malfunction of the drive, then what, if anything, can I do to reset the speed of the drive to its max of 32x? Perhaps there's another speed-setting utility that might work for me.

I'd appreciate very much any answers or suggestions anyone could give me about this.

Thanks