I have a S3 ProSavage 32-megabyte video card. I just bought a 128-megabyte ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card and would like to install it, but don't know how.

I left my old 32-megabyte S3 ProSavage in its slot and inserted the ATI Radeon in another slot, turned on the computer and monitor. The computer monitor had the orange light on like when it’s in off mode, or sometimes referred to as sleep mode (When the computer isn’t used for like say ten minutes the monitor turns black and when you move the mouse the black screen goes away and shows the desktop). Usually when I turn on the computer the light turns orange and then within 5-10 seconds turns green, but this did not happen the light stayed orange and the screen remained black no matter how many times I moved the mouse. So I unplugged the computer and removed the ATI Radeon 128-megabyte graphics card. I then plugged the computer back in. I turned the computer and monitor on and the computer and monitor worked fine.

Please take me through the steps of installing my ATI Radeon 128 megabyte graphics card including the hardware starting from step one. Note that when I inserted the Radeon graphics card in the slot and turned on the computer and monitor I had not installed the driver that was on the CD that came with it. Should I have installed the driver before inserting the Radeon graphics card into the slot?

1) Is a graphics card and a video card the same thing?

2) Do I have to remove my 32 megabyte S3 ProSavage video card in order for my 128 megabyte ATI Radeon to work or can I leave it in?

3) Should I install the driver from the CD before I insert the Radeon graphics card into my computer slot?

4) Do I have to plug the monitor into the 128-megabyte ATI Radeon graphics card where it says VGA monitor or can I leave it in its original slot. If I can leave the monitor plugged in its original slot then please explain what a VGA monitor is and what it is used for and what the VGA monitor slot is used for.