Pentium III 450 mhz
320 mb ram
17" monitor
4.4 gig SCSI hard drive
30 gig ide hard drive 7200 rpm

Geforce 2 GTS 32 mb DDR
300W power supply
Dsl internet connection (Dsl modem)

I purchased and recieved a visiontek Geforce2 GTS 32 mb DDR video card. I installed the card successfully and have been through the latest and older drivers (including the drivers it came with, the detonator 3 drivers, and a few later reference drivers). This problem has occured while using all of them.

I found that whenever attempting to run a program that would change resolutions (ie a 3d game, in particular the game halflife) would suddenly lose its signal and stop receiving input from the video to the monitor. My actual system didn't seem to lock up, but I could never get it to regain signal unless I restarted.

I noticed that a few times when I restarted, the desktop resolution in windows was changed to 800 by 600. Also the screen was off center and dark streaks were present throughout the display. If I changed the monitor resolution to 1024 by 768, 640 by 480 or whatever it would then display perfectly fine.
While attempting to figure out the problem I tried to change my desktop BACK to 800 by 600 resolution from whatever resolution I had changed it to(mostly 1024 by 768)..and I found I got the same problem, a loss of signal and a required restart.

640 by 480 resolution works fine, as well as 1024 X 768 and resolutions even higher than that.

In an attempt to avoiding having to use the 800 by 600 resolution at all I tried changing my halflife playing resolution to 1024 by 768 and all was well...untill I wished to exit the program in anyway I would get a loss of signal and have to ctrl alt delete restart(I couldn't simply ctrl-alt-delete to my desktop). I'm guessing that this program internally changes the resolution to 800 by 600 for a menu or something.

I see the inability to display this resolution a problem currently and in the future. I have read all of the geforce faq's and possible conflicts the card has with halflife.
I must reiterate that this problem occurs in all programs, and in the desktop itself, not just Halflife.

-------------------------------------------------

Possible problems I have already examined:

irq conflict-no conflict present, card is using irq 11

Too little power being supplied-upgraded to 300W power supply from 200 W..same problem exists after upgrade

Driver problem- Initially used drivers which came with card..noticed the problem, tried det 3 drivers, same problem, tried 12.10 and 12.00 drivers and same problem..guessing its not a driver problem.

Monitor- made sure correct monitor detected, and not multiple monitor drivers present.

Previous video card was Savage 4 3d- I removed those drivers before installing card and new ones
All programs worked with this card, 800 by 600 resolution worked with

HELP APPRECIATED!
thx