Hello.. I'm not much of a techi but a supposed to be one gave me this address because he didn't know the answers. (AND I'm paying him!)
Anyway, the virus "Dumaru" managed to get by an Anti Vir program & invaded my old Windows 98 Special Edition. (Maybe my daughter was trying to be helpful) Well, I took the computer in & the virus was removed by above technician. When I got home I noticed the progam "AdAware 6" was on my machine. It looked Ok so I left it there. Very soon after my daughter tried to use MsN messenger & couldn't get on. Same with Hotmail. I tried.. she was right..I went to "Windows Update" to re install messenger & was denied entry for several standard reasons including "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. The page may not display correctly. Error_ 0x800b0004."
I then tried another way to: (1) re-download Msn Messenger 6 & got "the feature you are trying to reach is on network resource that is unavailable ... find "MsnMsgs.Msi" (2) tried to use net passport & got "page cannot be displayed". I shoved the Windows 98 disk in & attempted to re-progam & am told it couldn't down load some Jave files.. There are other things going on that are quirky like when writing an E mail letter the page won't roll up when you near the bottom so you can see what you're writing.. pages may not be displayed properly etc
Question: Was all the virus removed? (I've run Anti virus programs & get the all clear) Would the Ad-Aware have cause problems? This reminds me a bit of the old Kleez.. All else seems to be working..
Oh..what the heck is " runtime error 339. Component "MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of it's dependancies not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid."
Any kind of help would be graciously appreciated from me & my daughter whose computer social life is suffering..
Thanks ...Snoopy8