I have a computer that has a suspected intermittent fault in the hdd. We were getting all sorts of strange Xp errors and then everything would be fine again for a few more days. Then the computer wouldn't boot and gave an error message about Hardware failure. An audible clicking noise was heard from inside but it stopped when hdd activity stopped. Thie was also intermittent and the drive started working again shortly afterwards. This drive was a 20gb seagate.

I hooked up a second drive (a 40gb Seagate) and after booting up I couldnt see the drive in XP. I checked the BIOS and the drive was there but just could not see it in XP. I made sure the jumpers were set right and tried cable select but still nothing in XP.

I then rebooted using the Norton ghost boot disc and copied the 20gb drive across to the new 40gb drive (Which ghost was able to see I might add.)
I then removed the original C drive and set the new drive to master but on reboot got an error message about Non system disk. For some reason the new cloned drive was not bootable, any ideas???

I then did a repair install of Xp to get it to boot which worked but now it has a drive lettter of F (2 cd-roms are D and E) When I go into the BIOS it is set as slave with no master being shown. I tried different jumper settings (Master, Cable select) but its still shows up as a slave drive in the BIOS with NONE in the Master drive section. It still shows as F drive instead of C drive in XP.

Any ideas????