For the last couple months I have been getting random BSOD on my Compaq Presario 710US, usually when using Adobe Photoshop Elements or Photoshop Album, which makes me think this is related to a graphics driver. I have updated the drivers using Windows Update and also using HP's website of available downloads. This laptop is hooked up to a network at work, but I also use it at home, and have experienced errors when I am not on the network at work.

The errors in my Event Viewer look like this:
Source: System Error
Category: (102)
Type: Error
Event: 1003
Description: Error code 000000c4, parameter1 00000085, parameter 2 811bb6d0, parameter 3 00000020, parameter 4 000000e0.

The link to Microsoft Help and Support gives no helpful information.

I tried to run SiSoft Sandra so I could find out what motherboard I have and get the latest chipset drivers, and inadvertantly found a pattern to this error: the BSOD appears every time I try to double-click the mainboard icon within Sandra for more information. At the top of the BSOD, it says "A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack must be repaired" or something like that. The error codes and parameters are always the same, with the exception of parameter 2, which has been different values. The recent ones are:
0x8117E580
0x8118F008
0x81186008
0xFF523BF8
0x811BB6D0

The only pattern I've noticed in the Event Viewer is that the same event is always listed 30 seconds before the error.
Source: Service Control Manager
Category: None
Type: Information
Event ID: 7036
Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.

Maybe that has nothing to do with anything!

In the Event Viewer under Application, I see a lot of errors whose timing seem to correspond with my system error. One is:
Source: AutoEnrollment
Event ID: 15
Description: Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Enrollment will not be performed.

The other is:
Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1054
Description: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted). Group Policy processing aborted.

However, I also see instances of these errors which did not cause a crash!
At the end of the BSOD, it does a physical memory dump which takes about 2 minutes. I have gone into the display settings and turned off the hardware acceleration, but hasn't solved the problem.

Here is my Belarc info:

Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Model
Compaq Presario 710US 267966-001 0F0C

Processor
1000 megahertz AMD Duron
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
Board: Compaq 0760h Rev.A
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix 4.06CJ15 06/28/2002

Drives
20.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
11.63 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

FUJITSU MHN2200AT [Hard drive] (20.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n NHC0T1C14FT9, rev 7255, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules
240 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'M1' has 256 MB
Slot 'M2' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
c: (on drive 0)20.00 GB11.63 GB free

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Display
S3 Graphics TwisterK 00860E11 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
Default Monitor
Digital Flat Panel (1024x768) [Monitor] (19.7"vis, January 2000)
Generic Television [Monitor] (19.7"vis, January 2000)

Bus Adapters
Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Multimedia
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Communications
Conexant HSFi V92 MiniPCI Modem
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Other Devices
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
EPSON Perfection1200 #3