K, customer's house. Has a Dell Laptop with XP on it. Also has a desktop with win98 on it. The Lexmark X1150 is attached to the Win98 desktop. The laptop is connected to a DI-524 with a wireless card. The win98 machine is using a wired connection to the DI-524.

When I got there the computers couldn't see each other properly on the network so I reconfigured them pretty much from scratch. They're both DHCP, the logon user name for win98 matches the one for the XP welcome screen. The workgroup is WORKGROUP. It still didn't work but I found out by trying pings that they had both the XP and NIS firewalls enabled on the laptop, turned them both off and they could start talking to each other. So the Sharing works fine. Now, I had problems getting the printer to be shared properly. I updated the Lexmark drivers from the website on the win98se machine. I removed the drivers from the laptop and when I tried connecting again is said the server didn't have the right driver, so I downloaded the XP drivers on the win98 machine and plopped them in a shared folder. I pointed the XP machine to the shared folder and it installed the driver ok. When I try to print a test page from within properties is spits back after a few seconds that the print didn't work would you like to try the troubleshooter (which is useless). So I try printing from notepad and the win98 machine then kicks on with the lexmark "printing has started" sound file. The printer makes some noise for a second and then the "Prinitng has completed" sound file is play and nothing comes out of the printer...

Anyone have an idea WTF this isn't working? I spent 2 hours getting to this point...