CD-R not being written on a CDRW device. CPU has DVD-rom device too.

Thread: CD-R not being written on a CDRW device. CPU has DVD-rom device too.

Threaded View

Question CD-R not being written on a CDRW device. CPU has DVD-rom device too.

Hi,

I have a computer with a "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B" which I think is made by LG Electronics (Goldstar).

When putting a new CD-R into it and trying to write from MS Explorer (preinstalled "developed under license from Roxio"), it looks like it's trying to write and then goes into the finalization stage then stops and says it may have corrupted my CD.

I tried an old CDRW that I had written to before. I see the files on it. (Note, the CDRW is reading files fine - intstalling software from it no problem). I tried to write a little test.txt to it, and it say's there is no cd in the drive...

I tried again after a re-boot:

I tried writing to the CD-RW first this time, and it wrote to the cd like it always had (except when it failed after the failed CD-R attempt)

I tried writing to my new CD-R’s (I’ve never had a need for them until now).

It says:

1/ Writing the data files to the CD – Est = 5 secs

2/ Performing steps to make the CD….

3/ Cannot complete the CD writing wizard

I’ve noticed that somewhere in the process MS Explorer drops down from Drive E (CD-RW) to the next avail drive mapping…

I'd installed ISOBURN 1.5 from www.paehl.de recently, could/would it have altered anything/drivers that would stop the drive working.

I'd searched for drivers, but Win XP home says there are no newer ones.

If it's a driver issue (it looks like there are 6 files - cdrom.sys GEARAspiWDM.sys, imapi.sys, pfc.sys, redbook.sys, storprop.sys - do any of these relate to ISOBURN - I happen to have a Samsung DVD-ROM separate drive too, so not sure if any of these drivers relate to that too (it looks like they probably do), but those 6 are what show up in the Driver File Details window for the cd-rw), what do I do with them.

It looks like it's an SP2 file

On the Driver tab: Driver Version = 5.1.2535.0

On the Driver Details button: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) is on all the MS entries.

The *WDM.sys and PFC.sys, don't have checkmarks next to them - MS products - the others are Gear software and Padus.

I wonder if this means the SP2 update hosed the CD - if so, how do I get the old drivers back, or will they work (if they ever did - unfortunately, I never did a CD-R to know (data not Muzac)). Not sure if the SP2 upgrade keeps an old driver to restore to.

Some other questions

I’ve also noticed the files on my CD-RW cd’s that I’ve created say "access is denied" when I try to delete a file or change it’s properties from read-only. I’m the Admin, so why would that be happening on a RW disc?

In Win XP Home, where can I see the checkbox to set Autorun on/off?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by optimizer; January 21st, 2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: bigger font (it had kept MS words font) - well, maybe it wll not change after all