I really don't know where to begin with my problems. My system is Windows XP SP2. Computer is EMachine. Media Reader 8 in 1, which I'm not sure is there. When I click on Entertainment, there is nothing there at all; folder empty. I have no volume control at all either. I can hear my music play with Windows Media Player. RealTek AC '97 Audio Driver Version 5.10.0.5440. When I go to Control Panel and click on Sounds and Audio Devices and then click on Properties and then Volume Control on Sound Play Back; Sound Recording; Microsoft Gs Wavetable SWSynth. The message I get is Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe.
Things that I've tried to do to solve the problem is as follows: I think the driver for RealTek is there. I see it in my Add/Remove Programs. I've contacted Tech Support at EMachines. They sent me a URL to download RealTek again and that did not work. They told me to try it in Safe Mode and that did not help it. Same old thing nothing works except Media Player. I tried to go to my Add/Remove and reinstall from my Recovery Disk. When I did that, half way through reinstalling an error message popped up and said No ADI codec driver installed.
Please if you can help me, give instructions on beginner level. I'm beginning to believe that I will have to get an external hard drive and transfer all My Documents to it and reinstall every thing. Another problem is my Restore DVD is for XP1. My system has been upgraded to XP SP2.
Biker Chick