I was called to find out why a network was not running.
It was a cable modem connected to a switch. From the switch 0ne cable (all were ethernet ) was connected to a lone computer. One other was connected to a newly installed printer. One other was connected to a computer with a printer attached. Both computers used xp.
The lone computer connected to the internet was fine but could not find the network. The computer connected to the printer could not find the internet or network...the message came up that there was a cable disconnected.
I rebooted everything but forgot the sole printer that was connected to the switch. I tried new cables, switch, reset winsock, differing connections, ipconfig found nothing hence no ping success, etc. "cable disconnected was the message I still rec'd. It sounded like a hardware problem.
The lady then suggested I reboot the computer that was connected to a printer and the sole printer. They were on a power strip...on reboot everything worked. I know what I did wrong...I think..but why did the system start working and why couldn't I connect and why the message.
Thanks