Make and model of computer (if a manufactured model)
HP d220 – mxd4380fmz

Make and model of motherboard and/or chipsets installed
Motherboard Name: Lite-On NR138
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Grookdale-G i845GEV

Add-on devices (has a sound card been added or is the onboard sound used or is there only an add-on card)
On-board soundcard

Sound devices/drivers/codecs listed in Device Manager and Add/Remove programs
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.
Did not see this option when I was in the BIOS

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.
Receive error “There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.”

Check Start, Control panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it is set to automatic and is started.
Started and Restarted

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.
Under the Volume Tab “No Audio Device” and Speaker Volume is grayed out.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.
Default Device under is grayed out for these two areas.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.
Both are set to high in the Properties tab of each cd/dvd drive.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.
I see Audio Codecs listed but NOT Audio Controller

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.
Performed the above step. The four listed from Microsoft were as follows:
IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC

If you have done and recorded ALL the above, prior to seeking help, it then becomes easier to provide information that can be used to fix your problem.

I have used the HP restore CD’s to reformat my computer and nothing. HP support advised me to install the drivers in Safe Mode, that did not work. They also recommended I reinstall the OS but that did not work either. The drivers that I have downloaded from HP’s site is SP25497 and it does not work. I have the Everest report so if anyone wants it, let me know. I hope I have provided enough information.