A year ago, someone brought us a machine. She said he used this machine at her work and wanted it us to ugrade it. She is a attorney. The machine was an old 486.
A friend of hers, had suggested the parts and the brands.
We needed some time, because we couldn't find the motherboard. (I don't remember the brand). It was the last summer. After a week, we had the motherboard on our store, so we started the upgrade. Her HDD contained
lots of customer's cases, which shouldn't be erased.
Unfortunately, the HDD contained also lots of bad clusters! We tried to contact her using her phone at her work and her mobile one, unsuccessfully. As we were told to hurry and upgrade the machine as soon as possible, we decided to low level format her drive. It was not under warranty, cause it was too old.
We managed to gain some space and we finally marked the bad clusters, after an Fdisk and a Format. We installed Windows successully and we left her a message in her answering machine, saying that we were ready.
She took it after a couple of days and called us to confirm it. She speaked to me.
When I said that everything was lost and explained the whole situation she became furious: "This documents were my career", she said. "Some of them are 16 years old"!
I said that we couldn't do else, but she was mad. "Let me speak to your boss" she said.
"He's going to face the law! I'll press charges against you"!
The boss told her that we have no responsibility when a HDD is faulty and documents are lost, while a machine is in our store.
After a couple of days, the machine was ready having a new HDD. She let it pass. She couldn't do anything else.

What would you do under these circumstances?
What if it happens again in another HDD? Are we protected?

Thank you all for your time.

------------------
When a good one meets some of the best...
I've died and gone to heaven!