[RESOLVED] I am back in Packard -ell

Thread: [RESOLVED] I am back in Packard -ell

qei

Resolved [RESOLVED] I am back in Packard -ell

Customer brought in Packard-Bell Legend 108CD. It has a combo sound/modem card that is not working. All tests indicate that it should be--modem diag shows that it is talking but when you try to connect it says there is no dial tone. Sounds all show operational but all is quiet. I downloaded a driver and updated the driver but nothing changed. I just don't know what else to check. Oh, and yes, I did check the volume controls. I should know better than to let a Packard -ell through the door!!!

MacGyver

Sounds like you've got an MWAVE modem on your hands. Truly an engineering masterpiece...piece of junk!

You have two options:

1. Tell us more about the modem so we can help you find a driver. Like what is written on the largest chip on the modem card....

2. Tell the customer it will be cheaper to install a new modem and sound card than it will be for you to get the old one to work.

Personally I would go with option 2, but I'm not afraid to tell the customer the truth, sad as it may be.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

The card is defective. Replace with a modem and sound card. If you hunt around, you can find a combo card, but I would stick with 2 cards. The other problem, however, is that the system may not be able to utilize the PCI modem. In that case, an external modem may be the answer. The bottom line is that replacement will be less (per hour) than trying t ofigure out why it does not work. Chances are, after you spend all your time in diagnoses, you will end up replacing the parts.

------------------
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

MAYHEM

If diagnostics say the modem is OK but it gets no dial tone, nine times out of ten the Dialer ciruit is toast. Replace the modem and sound card with someting that works and recomend a better machine.

------------------
    Well... I say... Nuke the unborn baby gay whales!

morguth

I've noticed in the past on some winmodems - will pass diags, but will get no dial-tone or some other error msg (630 is the most recent one i remember) uninstalling/reinstalling drivers wouldnt help but removing the modem ( might want to check for multiple installations in safe mode) and then going into the registry and blowing away the stuff related to the modem (theres a util out there that'll find the keys for ya, but damned if i remember where i found it) after removing the modem+keys, reboot and it'll re-detect it. if that doesnt work, time to rpl some parts :P

------------------
    Quote the madcow, 'Never Moo'

geeksRus

Cool

i've lost count of how many of these i have replaced...the cards are named after dead presidents as i recall...ironic since they end up costing you.
    replace with separate components if you can...keep your hair and your sanity.

------------------
    http://www.thetruthconnection.com/

qei

OK so this is how it ended up--combo card in computer is definately fried. Installed new (used) sound card and it works great--tried four different modems and finally had to give up--have way too much time invested in this piece of junk and customer does not want to pay that much. Once again, I have lost money on a P-B--when will I ever learn not to even try to work on junk!!!!!