How can I get an AT power switch to work like an ATX switch? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How can I get an AT power switch to work like an ATX switch?

This is something I've done a few times when customers want an upgrade but are too cheap to throw out their 486 and pentium AT cases.

What I usually do is since An ATX switch is the same as a reset switch on most cases, I take a reset switch and use that as an ATX switch. The AT switch attached to the old power supply is of no practical use for this matter

-Machine
    How do you prefer to spend eternity? Smoking or Non

Angry

Well, you can go to Radio Shack, spend $30 in parts to make it into an ATX switch since Radio Shack's parts are hidesouly overpriced, or you can go to <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_blank">www.pricewatch.com</a> and blow $17 on a real ATX power supply. {shrug} It just seems like more fun tearing apart an AT power supply though...
    Windows XP - Yes You Can, And You Did, Now Aren't You Sorry?

^Natas^

Smile

Ok....other then the actual difference inbetween the power sections on and ATX and a AT Motherboard the easiest way to take a old AT switch itself and turn it into a ATX switch is easy..look at the switch...if it's a rocker switch then pop it open and remove the clip on the one side that will free it up..if it's a push switch then on the top if the switch just on the edge if the metal top plate there is a pin, where the spring usually hits, remove it, and that will free it up so ofcourse it doesn't stay in the on position. I do this stuff all the time and it's really easy...

[quote]Originally posted by Adam Kautz:
    <strong>Oops. I notice that I neglected to mention that I am using an ATX power supply.

To briefly explain to some of the more critical respondents, I was swapping an AT mobo with an ATX mobo and attempting to use the case that the AT mobo was in. I don't see exactly why this seems so impractical to several of the people that responded since I did not have a good, empty ATX case lying around, the case that housed the AT mobo was decent, it allowed the AT connector's back plate to be removed and replaced with an ATX back plate, and I had a good AMD approved ATX power supply lying around. Therefore, all I needed to make the case work with the ATX mobo was an ATX soft power switch.

-Adam</strong><hr></blockquote>

Adam.

If you are using an ATX PSU with an ATX mobo, your solution is simple. Use the reset button/switch as your soft power switch. Simply plug the reset lead into the same spot on the mobo that you would plug the power lead.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

[quote]Originally posted by ^Natas^:
    <strong>Ok....other then the actual difference inbetween the power sections on and ATX and a AT Motherboard the easiest way to take a old AT switch itself and turn it into a ATX switch is easy..look at the switch...if it's a rocker switch then pop it open and remove the clip on the one side that will free it up..if it's a push switch then on the top if the switch just on the edge if the metal top plate there is a pin, where the spring usually hits, remove it, and that will free it up so ofcourse it doesn't stay in the on position. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup, i've had that style switch before, thats the easiest one - however, some are latched internally.
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

pga

[quote]Originally posted by ProTech PC:
    <strong>
    If you are using an ATX PSU with an ATX mobo, your solution is simple. Use the reset button/switch as your soft power switch.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is the easiest way to go. But if you need any switches... I'll mail you a few

I have wired an ATX Power supply to work with a standard AT Switch... but the only reason I did it was because it was for an ISP who had a problem because the CMOS did not offer a seeting for "Last Power State" so if the power went off and the UPS ran out, he would have to drive to the office to turn the computer back on. Using an AT switch resolved this for him.

Thanks,
    pga

Jungle Boy

Smile

Have you thought about just going out and buying an ATX switch? But you have to watch out it may set you back a buck or two.

Jungle Boy

Smile

Have you thought about just going out and buying an ATX switch? But you have to watch out it may set you back a buck or two.

Thanks to everyone who has offered their advice.

To Orange: Success! Removing the pin did the trick!

To ^Natas^: It is a push button switch and it did have a pin which the spring rested up against, but in order to remove the pin I had to follow Orange's instructions and pop the lid.

To format c:, where can I purchase ATX switches for AT cases?

To Machine & ProTech PC: Using the reset switch in place of the power switch is an interesting idea and one I would probably use if it were my own PC, however, for a customer, I believe this would be a rather unprofessional fix, wouldn't you agree?

To Outcoded: Thanks for the info on SPDIF.

-Adam

In the Holy Bible, in the book of John, chapter fourteen, beginning at verse one, Jesus Christ said to some of His closest followers (the Apostles):

"Do not let your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's [God's] house are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you.

I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know."

Thomas [a follower of Jesus Christ] said to Jesus, "Master, we don't where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me."

Note: I updated some parts of some of the above verses from the King James Version of the Holy Bible (which has no ungodly, restrictive copyrights) to more modern English vocabulary and/or grammar. All text within [ ] brackets, was added by me for clarity.

Nuts.... just buy an ATX case.....35 bucks isnt much to pay for safety

:^/
    I dont feel tardy...

sdrawkcab

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Machine:
    This is something I've done a few times when customers want an upgrade but are too cheap to throw out their 486 and pentium AT cases.

What I usually do is since An ATX switch is the same as a reset switch on most cases, I take a reset switch and use that as an ATX switch. The AT switch attached to the old power supply is of no practical use for this matter
    </font>
    This is what I have done a few times. Also handy when your ATX switch breaks, and you need to use your computer but don't want to get inside the case with a screwdriver every time you want to turn it on

------------------
    it's backwards backwards
    ---
    The Customer's always right, until he leaves, then we all have a good laugh.
    ---
    "Are you sure this is safe?"
    "Of course, that's what the armor's for!"
    -The Cable Guy

akautz

To Cygnus:

The last time I bought a (cheap) $35 case, an AGP card would not mount in it's AGP slot correctly. When I called the mobo manufacturer (SOYO) and told them I could not get my AGP video card to work on their new mobo, one of the first things the SOYO rep asked was if I was using a cheap case! So after using a pair of pliers and (if I remember correctly) a hacksaw blade, I was able to modify (mess up) the case enough so that the AGP card would seat all the way down into the mobo and function properly!

-Adam

[This message has been edited by akautz (edited September 08, 2001).]

freddy the fisherman

suggest you tell customer he needs a new atx case ...........but if he wants to be cheep than unscrew his AT power switch (which is soldered to the PSU ,,,,,and look around your celler for an old AT case and remove the reset OR high/low switches (turbo) switches and put one of those in the case plugged into the M/B ,,,,,,,,,,i,ve got a few do you want me to email you one?

for the ammount of labour involved in stripping the customers AT switch down and removing the latching method + resoldering a new lead (to the m/b) ......so where do you get one of those???? radio shack !!!!!!
    (why not buy a push to make switch whilst your there???)

it would be cheeper for the customer to buy a new case. I bet he asks for his old at psu back and then asks where the switch is?