Emergency!!! system down...............

Thread: Emergency!!! system down...............

Unhappy Emergency!!! system down...............

I was sitting at my computer on the Internet when all of a sudden I lost all power to my system as though someone had just pulled the plug out of the electric wall socket. The system will not come back on-line when I hit the power on button on the case, however, if I leave the computer alone for a few seconds then try to power up I can just see the lights on the front of the case flicker for a split second then nothing If I look at inside the case I can see the motherboards ATX green light still lit up (this light never goes out). I have now stripped the computer bare everything is out, even the PSU (ready for inspection). I have never seen anything happen like this before, not even to the many cheaper PC Chips base systems I have had to deal with in the past. My computer is less than a year old with all the best hardware. Any help with problem or ideas you might have will be greatly appreciated. This is a new one on me

System spec:

Asus A7M 266 (bios 1005)
    512 Crucial DDR,
    AMD 1200Mhz(266) Athlon C,
    Antec SX 1240 ATX full tower,
    Quantum Fireball AS 40GB,
    Antec 400w PSU (Smartpower),
    Elsa Gladiac GF2 Ultra 64,
    Hauppauge TV card,
    Iiyama 21ins Vision Master 503,
    Adaptec Firewire card,
    ADS Pyro webcam,
    Motorola cable modem,
    D-Link NIC Ethernet,
    Yamaha CDR-RW,
    A-open 52x CD-ROM,
    Toshiba DVD-ROM,
    Teac Floppy,
    Labtec speakers,
    Microsoft Internet keyboard,
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer,
    Rounded cables for HD, CD's and floppy,
    6 socket power surge protector,
    Bit of dust.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

Possibly blown fuse in your PS. Still enough power to light up leds but not enough to run you comp. I'd say try a new PS if you can or ***CAREFULLY*** take a look in the one you have.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

First - Check Cables (or move to another AC Outlet.)

If the system is connected to a UPS, Disconnect it (from the UPS) and plug it to a regular AC Outlet.
    I would have disconnect any peripherial I don't "Need" for a normal Boot. (leaving only MB, VGA Adapter, Memory and CPU). Thus Eliminating the possibilities.

P.s. - does the computer (or the parts) are still in Warranty?
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

In the first instance, unplug the PSU from the wall, leave it for two minutes, try it again.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

OK, I am now gonna make a start to try and get the thing up and running again. I have tried running the computer from the regular AC outlet as opposed to the UPS and I have left it for periods of several minutes before trying to power up without success. I am currently using an old cyrix 300mhz based system to access the Internet at this time from the same power source without an problems so I'm pretty sure the power source is not to blame. I do not have a spare PSU I can try in the Athlon system but I can try the suspect PSU in this computer just to see if there are any problems( I will check fuse if PSU fails to run this machine also). My gut instinct tells me the PSU is to blame as I have examined all connections and componants including the CPU and I cannot see and damage or loose connections. At this moment the PC is stripped bare and will have to be built up again from scratch so I will make double sure regarding all connections when I rebuild it shortly. I will also give everything including the PSU a going over with compressed air just to make sure their are no elements clogging anything causing an auto shutdown (PSU over heating or something). I will post back here after I have finished with my findings and results. THANK YOU for your input and suggestions with this matter, they are all appreciated!

<a href="http://www.compute-aid.com/atxspec.html" target="_blank">http://www.compute-aid.com/atxspec.html</a>
    A bit of basic power supply info that may help in you diagnosis.

Well, I guess I have found the problem. I removed the old PSU from this older Cyrix 300mhz based system and wired up my Antec 400W PSU and it would not power put the system. I got the split second light flickerings on the case and then nothing, just like on my main system. My state of the art Antec 400W smartpower PSU is out of action. It may be the fuse like suggested in this post but who knows? I do not have extensive electrical training regarding PSU maintenance so I am reluctant to open up the PSU and try fixing it unless it is something straight forward like a simple fuse exchange. Maybe I overloaded my system with too many power demanding components for my Antec to handle. My next step will be to open up the PSU and take a look for anything obvious and to check out any fuses and try and find a replacement. I will also be looking for a replacement PSU later tonight if all else fails. I thought I already had the best PSU that would give me more than a years service. If I do order a new PSU I will be looking at the Enermax range. If there are any issues regarding Enermax you think I should know then I would appreciate your comments or any other recommendations with quality and reliability in mind, cost is unimportant. Thank you all again for your time and help.

PS: Thanks for the link Archer, I'm just off to read the info in detail now.

Fuse replacement is the simpilest thing that you can do. They are also the weakest point in your PS. They are there to fail so you don't damage any other components. If you take out the screws holding your PS together, the fuse will be readily visible. Just put it on a multimeter to see if its still good. If you don't have a multimeter, just replace it. You can pick them up for next to nothing and you should be able to find them somewhere today....Actually, when I was stationed in England, there was absolutely NO WHERE to get one on a Sunday. Anyway, best of luck.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Exclamation

Fuse replacement maybe a easy task - but it may be other things "blown" in the Psu (Capacitors for instance).
    Fuse burning out is somewhat a security measure - which protect the system from extreme condition - It may point that you have other problems (Overload, Surge Etc.).

Good Luck
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

This is beginning to sound like a power surge. Is whatever you use for you interne connection (eg phone line) surge filtered?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

The entire computer system, case, monitor etc.... are all protected with a surge protector (6 sockets, 4 in use) so I would have thought a power surge would knock out the fuse in that before the current reaches my PSU.

Regarding the "simple" fuse exchange, I have opened up the PSU and I have seen a little white fuse hidden under all the wires and componants (impossible to get at) and half covered in a clear glue type substance suggesting it would be awkward to remove even if I could get to it (Very frustrating design of PSU the old Antec PP-403X 400W is turning out to be)

I am still puzzled as to why this PSU would still light up the green LED on my A7M obviously maintaing ATX power to the MB but yet still not powering up any of the two computers I have tested with it.

I have now ordered a replacement PSU (Enermax 550W) so I will now write-off the Antec.

Thanks again for your time with this post.

Your ATX power light on the MOBO coming on with no power to the rest of the system makes me think that this is a case of a blown capacitor rather than a blown fuse, so replaceing the fuse probably wont be worth the time.

On another note, you might want to check the warranty (or guarrantee) information on your surge protector. Some of the better surge protectors have guarrantees for the items hooked to them and if they fail to operate will replace the damaged items. Its a long shot but it just might get you that new PSU for much cheaper or even FREE.
    I dont feel tardy...

check your CPU, make sure the core isn't cracked
    sounds like a short in the system, power supplies are now smart enough to cut off power if they detect a short
    I've seen this happen to a computer, and usually it's because the cooling failed on the CPU, or the CPU failed, and the CPU becomes one big short
    examine the core for cracks and bubbling around the edges, or burning

Something else you might wan't to keep in mind (although it doesn't seem that this is causing your problem). You said that you entire system is hooked up to the surge protector, but what about your phone line? Albiet it doesn't seem that this is the culprit, but if you don't have it going through some sort of surge-suppression system then your playing with fire. I've seen many computers that fried because of a surge through that line.
    "what are the mathematics of tears?"

"The dream is always the same..."

[quote]Originally posted by Danger:
    <strong>Something else you might wan't to keep in mind (although it doesn't seem that this is causing your problem). You said that you entire system is hooked up to the surge protector, but what about your phone line? Albiet it doesn't seem that this is the culprit, but if you don't have it going through some sort of surge-suppression system then your playing with fire. I've seen many computers that fried because of a surge through that line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't use a modem anymore. I am now using cable modem running to a D-Link PCI NIC. Thanks for mentioning the phone line threat though, I'll bear it in mind when I am dealing with other peoples 56k setups as it as never occured to me before. I'll bet there are quite a few people who have overlooked making sure their phone line runs through a surge protector.

Regarding the Antec, I now just think the PSU couldn't handle the heavey load my computer put on it. I hope the Enermax I had delivered today will be more robust and last longer. I have also increased the power from a 400W to 550W. I honestly now believe 400W was not enough for a system like mine which has a lot of powerful cooling fans installed too and is on 24/7 sometimes running for days without being switched off. I'll rebuild my system tomorrow and give the Enermax a try.

Just to mention, all other PC components are fine including CPU core. I did test the Antec in this older computer and got the same response (nothing but a spit second of light flickering on the front of the case when I tried to power up)

PS: Do you know if cable broadband needs any filter protection at all? I am new to the broadband setup. If it does I can add what ever is needed to my order when I buy a router and attempt to create a network for Internet sharing.

Thank you all.