Screen Saver Loc. |Win95b
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Screen Saver Loc. |Win95b

Wink Screen Saver Loc. |Win95b

Could someone refresh my memory and tell me where the screen savers for Windows 95b are kept. Or tell my how to reinstall them. I install Powerpiont from a MS 97 Professional Office CD and the screen savers disappeared.
    Thanks to All !!!!
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Hi,
    well you can do a search for *.scr and you should find them in the c:\windows\system directory. Hope that helps!
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Their in \windows\system on this one (though there's a couple of 3rd party one's in \windows).
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I found the scr. Now how do I get them back on the list in Display Properties/Screen Saver???
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

[quote]Originally posted by Twigs:
    <strong>I found the scr. Now how do I get them back on the list in Display Properties/Screen Saver??? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Where did you find them? If they were not in the C:\windows or C:\windows\system directory, try moving them there...

To reinstall them, go to add remove programs, and select the windows setup tab, and look for screen savers, it may require you to got to details on one of the root components. Anyway, if it is checked, uncheck screen savers, apply, may require a reboot, but probably not, then go back, and check the screen savers, and apply. that should take all of your headaches away, providing that this method works for you...

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>To reinstall them, go to add remove programs, and select the windows setup tab, and look for screen savers, it may require you to got to details on one of the root components. Anyway, if it is checked, uncheck screen savers, apply, may require a reboot, but probably not, then go back, and check the screen savers, and apply. that should take all of your headaches away, providing that this method works for you...</strong><hr></blockquote>
    I try this but it still didn't work when I went into Display properties/screen saver. There were not on the list to choose.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Why not try to right click on them and choose install? That should get them in.
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by PJPilate:
    <strong>Why not try to right click on them and choose install? That should get them in.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well PJ, I tried your idea. But when I right clicked on them they open in notepad. There was not option in the right click to install. Boy, I know this is and easy fix but I'm stumped too.
    Thanks PJ and too all who are helping me.
    Twigs
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Ok, that explains a few things....

Heres what you need to do...

Go into Windows Explorer. Go view, folder options, file types tab. Find the entry for SCR (screen savers) You should have 3 Actions... Install/Configure/Test

Click on Install then edit. Here's what i have for a Windows98 machine...
    C:\Windows\Rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreemSaver %I

Click on Configure, then edit:
    "%1"

Click on Test (default) then edit:
    "%1" /S

Try editing those and seeing if they work, because it looks like the file type has been changed to a text file, since you say it opens with notepad.
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

Question

[quote]Originally posted by PJPilate:
    <strong>Ok, that explains a few things....

Heres what you need to do...

Go into Windows Explorer. Go view, folder options, file types tab. Find the entry for SCR (screen savers) You should have 3 Actions... Install/Configure/Test

Click on Install then edit. Here's what i have for a Windows98 machine...
    C:\Windows\Rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreemSaver %I

Click on Configure, then edit:
    "%1"

Click on Test (default) then edit:
    "%1" /S

Try editing those and seeing if they work, because it looks like the file type has been changed to a text file, since you say it opens with notepad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well when I open File type, I got to the Registered File Types window then on the rightside there were three buttons New Type, Remove,Edit. Didn't see any Install,Configure,Test I also went to a Win 98 computer and saw the same buttons I saw on the Win95 computer. So I'm lost again.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Cool

When you go into folder options, click on the "File Types" tab. Scroll down thwe list till you find "Screen Saver" under "Registered File Types". Highlight it and click on the Edit button. Under "Actions" you should see the Install, Configure, and Test actions. Double-click on them and see if they match PJPilate's entries.
    A side note: If anything is in the Content_Type (MIME) box, that might explain your problem. On both of the machines I've looked at, neither one has anything in the (MIME) box.
    It almost sounds like the Notepad program was somehow set to run files of type .scr.
    Hope this helps.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie_Tech:
    <strong>When you go into folder options, click on the "File Types" tab. Scroll down thwe list till you find "Screen Saver" under "Registered File Types". Highlight it and click on the Edit button. Under "Actions" you should see the Install, Configure, and Test actions. Double-click on them and see if they match PJPilate's entries.
    A side note: If anything is in the Content_Type (MIME) box, that might explain your problem. On both of the machines I've looked at, neither one has anything in the (MIME) box.
    It almost sounds like the Notepad program was somehow set to run files of type .scr.
    Hope this helps. </strong><hr></blockquote>
    Well I'm getting closer. When I get to "Actions" I only see open and print There is nothing in the MIME box. I'm using Win 95b
    Thanks !!
    Twigs
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Question

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>

Where did you find them? If they were not in the C:\windows or C:\windows\system directory, try moving them there...</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Thanks !!!
    Is there a way to tell which directory they should be in ???
    Twigs
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

It wont matter, once they are "Installed" via a right click, the registry is updated with their locations... but c:\windows\system is a good place for them.