Winzip opens all Exe's... HELP

Thread: Winzip opens all Exe's... HELP

Post Winzip opens all Exe's... HELP

I have a system in the shop that only opens WinZip. If you run any Exe file WinZip trys to add it too a Archive. So if I run regedit or msconfig or Word, WinZip pops up and the program doesn't run. I think someone screwed with the File associations. I can't uninstall WinZip because the unistaller is an Exe, and Add/Remove Programs is an EXE. HELP thanks

rename regedit.exe to regedit.com - then you can run it.

Yeah, but what about Word and every other program.

I think he means for you to be able to go into regedit and make the necessary file association changes. That's the point of renaming regedit.
    Hey? Why is my computer prompting me if I would like to accept a cookie? Is it Oatmeal or Chocolate Chip?

I would first run a virus scan and then follow these steps.

1. Rename Regedit.exe regedit.com

2. Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.

3. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor opens.

4. Navigate to and open the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\ open\command

Important Warning!
    The \Classes subkey contains many subkey entries that refer to other file extensions. One of these file extensions is .exe. Changing this extension can prevent any files ending with a .exe extension from running. Make sure you browse all the way along this path until you reach the \command subkey.
    Do not modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.exe key.
    Do modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\ open\command subkey that is shown in the following figure.

5. Double-click the (Default) value in the right pane.

6. Delete the current value data, and then type "%1" %* (quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk).

NOTE: The Registry Editor will automatically enclose the value within quotation marks. When you click OK, the (Default) value should look exactly like this:

""%1" %*"

Make sure you completely delete all value data in the command key before typing the correct data. If a space is left accidentally at the beginning of the entry, any attempt to run program files will result in the error message, "Windows cannot find .exe." If this happens to you, start over at the beginning of this document, making sure to completely remove the current value data.

7. Restart the computer.