Packard Bell is TOTALLY dead.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packard Bell is TOTALLY dead.

Cool Packard Bell is TOTALLY dead.

As of tomarrow, there will be no support for ANY owners of Packard Bell/NEC Ready computers other than a toll call to a company called ALORICA (801) 578-5108.
    If you had a contract as a Packard Bell service center, that contract is void as of 12-31-99.
    ---
    Jon Hutto

MuscleMan

Forget y2k.. I've been counting the days until packard bell no longer exists. It is my cause to celebrate the new year.

Actually unfortuneately there is still going to be the business end of pb/nec.

[This message has been edited by MuscleMan (edited December 31, 1999).]

Well today there support site (support.packardbell.com) is down.
    There main site is still up.
    ---
    Jon Hutto

JadedTech

I am still anxiously awaiting the overdue demise of HP and Compaq....they are at least as bad as Packard Hell imo.

Smile

Any chance of Time going the same way
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

BadCache

Wow, a guess a moment of silence is called for.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Too bad they sold millions of these things. They will still be in our nightmares for years to come. But with out tech support it will even make it more fun. As for Compaq I do not think they are going to be out of the picture for a while. "UGH!!!" At least some of the HPs that have been in our shop use non-proprietary parts. Still their recovery disks suck! Long live custom builds!!!!

My wife has a Packard Bell, and she is fiercely devoted to it. I guess it's because she tinkers with it enough to make it work, and because she reloads the OS every couple of months as a hobby, but I can't for the life of me figure out why she won't abandon that thing! It was only a few months ago when her sound card/modem (14.4!!!) crapped out and I had to replace them with new SB AWE64 and USR 56K. Prior to that, and since, no complaints. I mean, I have to BEG her to let me upgrade it (more RAM and such).

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

This is the best news I have heard in age's
    no more packard bells , they have ripped off
    first time buyers for long enough.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

eww

Thumbs down

i miss the pb's; we were a repair center and job security was never a problem. you could always count on twenty to thirthy of them a week. now we don't have enough work and hours are being cut.

Hang in there. Those crappy e-machines should start rolling in. Lets not forget there is still Compaq. Like BadCache posted earlier there are thousands of PB's still in circulation.

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

[This message has been edited by Larommi (edited January 18, 2000).]

Question

You see the new e-notebooks? There are just starting to pop-up around here. I hope the are not as bad as the e-machines. When they first came out we used to get about 5 a month for new modems.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

Well, they had it coming. To be honest, so do ALL the rest of the commercial brand name products. I used to think that brand X (let's say Dell or Micron or Gateway) was still pretty good, but in the last couple of years, the proprietary BS that goes along with these systems makes me shake my head. Now with the advent of software modems, integrated motherboards and such, I do not recommend any commercial brand, at all. But, on the other hand, if it weren't for these Marketers' Miracle Machines, I would'nt have much in the way of repairs to do.

So.... I am not distraught to see an inferior product hit the trash heap, but inferior products keep me busy. As to sales of machines, Custom Builds are the only way to go.

Just my two cents,

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

JadedTech

I've had several e-machines come in with bad power supplys lately. Apparently after one year you can't even order parts for them. I was quite suprised to find that the boards will fit in a standard atx case. It just boggles the mind to think of people actually buying the shoddy things. I think it even had a cyrix chip in it for crying out loud. Makes we wonder what's coming up next.

Wink

Never fear brother techies, as long as the biggies can keep convincing these suckers to sign up for the rebate?? for only $21.95 per month for 36 months, the same types who rushed out to buy the new and wonderful YUGO will keep buying these gutless wonders. Somehow, some people never learn.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?
    Are we havin' fun yet?

I hope I never have to crack open an e-one again. What a mess to deal with.