Sound card makes repeating sound

Thread: Sound card makes repeating sound

Question Sound card makes repeating sound

I have a Win98 machine with a 3D-FX ISA sound card. I just recently reinstalled windows and after I was finished, everytime something tries to use the sound card, the sound just repeats itself. I originally had a ESS-ES1938S PCI card in and it does the same thing. Can anyone help me with this? I have downloaded the latest drivers and still the same problem. I reinstalled windows twice thinking it may have been a problem there. No luck.

Thanks in advance

Duane

Check for IRQ conflicts.
    I've had the same thing a couple of times with PCI sound cards. In these cases putting the card into a different slot changed the IRQ assignment and fixed the problem.

*nod* agreed... IRQ conflicts are rife with these sound cards (I've had 4 of them.. *sigh*...)

Just like already suggested, make sure nothing is trying to use that IRQ, and if needed, assign that IRQ to ISA in the bios.

Good luck
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Question

Another thought. Is there any anti-virus software installed? I've een this problem more that once after installing McAfee.
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

2 things to try... when purchasing a MB some give u the option of wheather or not u want to use integrated sound...video etc. Its like a few dollars extra and they send those ports u plug in the board(pc chips mobos have them)...but even if you dont get the add on ports sent, the port is still there and needs to be disabled in the bios. I had the problem u mentioned with the sound skipping drove me nuts and thats what it ended up being...an irq conflict but due to the port being enabled in bios.

also maybe check for direct x update. My sound card and speakers were making this annoying clicking sound every 2 minutes after i reinstalled windows...when i updated to direct x 8 it stopped?! Go figure
    "You can't turn a Volkswagon into a Mercedes!!"

Murphy was an ancestor, of this I am convinced!!

Virus software causes this problem?? Hmmm let me try that on my extra computer although i am telling you, A 486 just aint made for a nice sound card, lol
    If at first you dont succeed, sit down and take a break.
    (Breaking things is not good!)

Hardware Notes - http://www.hardwarenotes.com

Darren Wilson

DMA conflicts can also cause the same symptoms.