System reboots during Windows boot...

Thread: System reboots during Windows boot...

Post System reboots during Windows boot...

I have a computer (PIII 800,128MB, 10GB) that reboots after logging into Windows 98. I have disabled all Startup items, System.ini and Win.ini and it still does it. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

I would suggest booting your computer and just after the BIOS information is shown, and before the 98 screen shows, press F8 and you will get your boot screen. Choose safe mode first, if it boots, restart in normal mode and see if that changes anything just in case there was a corrupt driver or what not that needed finalization. If that does not work, boot again and press the F8 key and pick the boot with step by step confirmation. It will let you know at what point the computer is restarting. Make sure you pay attention to that step and right it down (the one that it restarts on) Next, boot it again with step by step but when it asks for confirmation on that step, don't allow it to load it. If the computer boots fine then, restart it in normal mode and see if it works okay. If not, come back here and let us know the last thing loaded before it restarts.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Thanks for response, It boots fine in safe-mode, I have done Step-by-Step and disabled everything, but it still reboots itself. Any other ideas.

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar

Could be a faulty Power Supply. Also check to make sure nothing is loose inside the computer,i.e. motherboard, hard drive cables, etc...
    Also did you add any new software or hardware lately?
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

Try disabling all start up items except explorer and systray
    If still problem Try reinstalling windows over the top
    Does it stay on for any length of time in safe mode?

Banned

heres a little prog that might help you ,,,,,works on 95 and 98

Bootlog analiser <a href="http://www.vision4.dial.pipex.com/" target="_blank">http://www.vision4.dial.pipex.com/</a>

be sure to have all files showing inc hidden and start machine to include a bootlog and dont forget to delete the boot file after each run (otherwise you will end up with one a mile long)

good luck freddy

Web Master, have you recently made a hardware change or updated drivers?

Can you log in as a different user?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience