Computer tech burnout...Please Help

Thread: Computer tech burnout...Please Help

Unhappy Computer tech burnout...Please Help

I need help!!!

I want to know if anyone else is or has suffered from Field Service "Burnout"? And if so how did you get back on track?

Here's my spill...
    I've been doing Wintel networking for years. I used to love my job. I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and start a new day but now I HATE going into work. I don't think that it is who I work for because I've felt this way thru 3 different companies. The only thing that is simalar with all companies is the fact that

1. I'm driving very far to work (50miles one way, I live in Atlanta so this is about 1.5 hours one way) and
    2. I'm doing field service work.

Oh, the other thing is that I primarly know Wintel and I truly want to be in the AS/400 & Unix areas although I don't have any experience in these areas.

Any ideas on what I should do? I haven't always felt this way and it's really bugging me because all I'm doing is work that I used to Love and Enjoy.

JKS
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)

Start exercising.

I started getting burnt out about a year ago as well, then I took up walking for an hour everynight. This turned into freeweights and jogging on alternate nights. Once I started exercising again, I had an easier time getting up for work in the morning, more energy during the day, and was a heck of a lot nicer to the people around me.

Best part is, I felt good about myself again, and so will you.

Banned

you could always quit, buy a harley, and join a biker gang.

Make sure that you are challanged and always learning. When I start feeling burnt out it is ussually because I am no longer challanged at what I am doing(which is why I got into this work). Of course, I am still working on the skin of steel, gets very depressing when all you do is listen to people complain all day. Beer, the new kittens, exercise, a lovely wonderful perfect girlfriend, beer, beer and mexican food on Wednesday nights with some Margaritas always helps me.

totally agree with DA, exercise, and lots of it. i play lots of basketball and lift wieghts, but on those really bad days, i have a punching bag in my wieght room. beating the hell out of it for 20 mins or so always makes me feel better. if that doesn't work, start looking for another job. i always told myself if it got to point where i dreaded getting up in the morning because i didn't want to go to work, i would quit my job.

and i know how you feel, lately i have not wanted to get up in the morning, i just don't want to be at work. so i think i'm going to quit. i want to go back to school
    take care and tempt not the fates

You should try this thing called vacation. Apparently, the boss gives you - yes - gives you 2 weeks paid holiday! I use this when I feel wacky.

Get a job flippin burgers or baggin groceries. A few weeks of that and you will really appreciate your tech job.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

I feel your pain, I spent 10 years with a huge global corporation and got burned out. Driving the long commute and such, seldom being challenged etc.

My solution; I quit and started on my Cisco and Linux skills in my home lab, and with classes. What I eventually discovered is that infrastructure is what I really enjoy; routing, switching, and connectivity stuff. Away from the end user support scene.

Busting in the AS/SNA scene may require you take some classes at a community college due to the nature of the technology. My local community college teaches AS400, Sun, Linux, Cisco, and Oracle. But getting wet with unix/linux with a home lab should be no problem. Maybe you would enjoy the whole router and switch world like me?

So there ya go; buy a harley, take a vacation, get drunk, get some exercise, get drunk again, and then explore other areas within the IT world.

Trade with me for a couple of weeks. I guarrantee that you will be wanting your tech job back by then. However, the odds I will actually give it back when you ask are slim.

Im having to work 2 jobs right now and NONE are in the tech field......I cant wait to get my place sold so I can get outta here.
    I dont feel tardy...

Thanks to all for your response. I agree with DA now that I think about it. I used to walk 3x's around the neighbourhood every other evening and I did feel a heck of alot better. I think that I'm not challenged enough has alot to do with it as well...(I'm not saying that I know everything there is to know about networking). I'm going to enroll in some Linux classes at the local comunity college and see where I can go from there. Maybe then I will feel like my brain is being "refreshed" with some more knowledge and I won't feel so crummy.

Thanks guys,

JKS
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)