[RESOLVED] Help! IE Frustrations...........

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help! IE Frustrations...........

Techy-Chic

Post Help! IE Frustrations...........

I'm working on a system right now for a guy who insists on getting every one of those crazy windows tweaking programs that are out there. Well, it looks like tweak after tweak has really thrown his IE for a loop. Every single page loads up with a teal background and only blue font, and most images on any given page won't load. It's driving me bonkers and after messing with this for hours and reinstalling his IE with no success, I'm giving up. A week ago or so I saw here at Windrivers a program that uninstalled IE. I (of course) didn't think that I would ever need it, so I didn't get it. But, by God, I need it today before I pull one more hair out of my head.
    Can anybody help me? Is there a link I can go to? Or did anybody get it who can possibly email it to me? Thank you soooo much. =)

If you have tried reinstalling IE then it sounds like a registry setting that isn't being reset. Take a look around in HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Internet Explorer

You could also try reseting IE to defaults in Tools - Internet Options.

As far as reinstalling IE... I usually just delete the old directory (and possibly remove a few registry keys) and then it'll let me install even if it's an older version.
    -=If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you=-

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸Sorry_I_Win,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Format/intall Windows 2000 Pro. Do not make said user an administrator and lock him down so he cannot install any more crap.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

as above with the reg key but also when reinstalling ie remove all windows software in communications and any! items in network. get latest version of ie5.5 or higher.

seen this myself but with those pesky isp disc like aol or virgin they like to set their own parameters that totally screw windows.

Thumbs up

Techy-Chic!!

I love you baby! And of course, once again, we're on the same wavelength.. I'm GLAD there is someone smart enough to pay attention to the cool tools put up on WinDrivers...
    It was Ieradicator, and it's on my FTP site...

Love ya, toots....

Tech_Boi

Techy-Chic

I appreciate you all sharing your thoughts with me about this IE dilemma I had today. The way I see it, tomorrow is another day and I will play around with it before totally removing it. And thank you techy-boi for upping that file to your ftp server for me.
    I did talk to this customer tonight before going home and I told him that back before I was a tech, I used to play with my computer, tweaking, crashing, learning... the cycle didn't seem to end until one day, my best friend who was/is my computer mentor threw me out on my butt and made me learn how to fix my problems myself, without his help. Yes, this was the beginning of my tech days. And I learned the hard way that all these silly tweaking programs were just that - silly. There is no earthly reason to use Hotbar. Who cares if your IE toolbar is a boring gray or pastel polka dots? I told this customer that, backing it up with "...and Windows 98 is based around Internet Explorer to such an extent that it just isn't safe to mess with these things." and you know what? I could tell by his tone that I was getting through to him. Hopefully I won't bite my tongue in a few months when he comes back to me locked out of his computer because he ran Tweak-Me-Gold on it and inadvertantly "adjusted" his system settings to a point that his system is inoperable. But if he does, I'll be sure and let you know..... hehe.
    Thanks again for the info.