Stupid Users...

Thread: Stupid Users...

Angry Stupid Users...

You know what I hate? I get a request for support, I come over in a timely fashion to help out, I sit down to do my magic, and the user takes off! (yes, I like run-on sentences)

Well, what if I need the user to log back in so I can see if what I did works? I can fix a PC, but I don't know how every single program in the company works. I need them to know the finer workings of the programs they use all day. How am I suppose to know how to print from some archaic DOS app that only two people here use?

So, what am I suppose to do? Wait for them to mosey back to their desk? That's bullsh*t.
    Jesus saves sinners.

And redeems them for valuable prizes.

Hmmm..... let me guess--- this just happened to you?
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

I hear you. This happens to me a lot. Stupid proprietary apps that no one else uses. I had to guess a users bios password once because she took off while I was doing an Office 2000 upgrade. Pain in the butt!
    Sparky Mark
    Life is real, life is earnest- and the grave is not it's goal- dust thou art, to dust returneth- was not spoken of the soul...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Cool

Start reading Windrivers and bill 'til they get back.

Oh you are?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Cool

I won't work on a machine that's password protected. If the user is right there, I'll tell them to remove all system passwords before I'll work on it. If they're not there, I'll leave them an e-mail or note requesting the same.

9 times out of 10, they'll come back with "I'll just give you the password."

10 times out of 10, my reply is "I don't have time to keep entering ten friggin' passwords everytime a reboot. When the passwords are all removed, call me."

Problem resolved!
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

Originally posted by Outcoded:
    Start reading Windrivers and bill 'til they get back.

Oh you are?

Best answer Yet!!!!!!
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

I am the info security person for my department w/ domain admin rights. So if someone walks away while I am working on their PC, I just go out and reset their password to a generic temporary password. If they tick me off or never come back I don't tell them that I changed it. After 5 invalid sign ons they are forced to call me for a reset. Then I blast 'em!
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Originally posted by Blehboy:
    I am the info security person for my department w/ domain admin rights. So if someone walks away while I am working on their PC, I just go out and reset their password to a generic temporary password. If they tick me off or never come back I don't tell them that I changed it. After 5 invalid sign ons they are forced to call me for a reset. Then I blast 'em!
    The consequences should always fit the crime!

I have a client who changes the passwords in their office after every job--like I don't already know more about their company than most anyone there because I set it all up!
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I wish I could blast my users. I have to be polite to the stupidist humans on earth...

This sounds like something I would say! I work for a super large company so we have more propriatary software, than off the shelf. Users usually assume I know how to use all the software in the company, but how can I? I'm happy if I have a general idea of what the application is suppose to do.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones