External USB Floppy drive question.

Thread: External USB Floppy drive question.

Post External USB Floppy drive question.

Hello, I am curious to know if you can set the computer bios to boot from and external Floppy drive assuming the HDD is brandnew and you are using something like Quantum disk manager to install a new HD or a WindowsXP or 98SE boot floppy or even a set of anti-virus recovery floppys. God in heaven only knows why Coolermaster would design a case with no space for an internal 3.5" Floppy drive which I consider vital for any PC.

Thanks for your time reading this post
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

It's OK, I'll mod the 3.5" to fit 5.25". Any DIY articles anywhere I would appreciate the link, if not, I'm sure I'll work something out. Thx.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Just go to any computer shop and ask for an adapter to make it fit, should only be £2-3
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Does your BIOS have an option to boot from a removable device?? If so I would think that it would work...
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Outcoded:
    <strong>Just go to any computer shop and ask for an adapter to make it fit, should only be £2-3</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I must be seriously slowing down with old age Good idea Outcoded! I'm not that good at messing around with modding tools myself anyway.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cc_penguin:
    <strong>Does your BIOS have an option to boot from a removable device?? If so I would think that it would work...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've checked the bios but I can't see anything to suggest I could use an external USB floppy as primary boot device. I am using an Asus A7M 266(bios 1005). I guess Asus presumed every case manufacturer would have had good sense to include space for a floppy. The case is damned nice though, I knew the specs before I ordered it but like I said, I just had to have it for myself.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar

Try enabling legacy on the USB port. My point of sale WSs use a USB floppy for repair/recovery, and they run on win95A or NT4.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||