Stuff to clean old thermal compound off

Thread: Stuff to clean old thermal compound off

Post Stuff to clean old thermal compound off

been having a discussion with some folks on another forum about best stuff to use for this. I couldnt find anything recomended by artic silver here in the UK so ended up useing scent free nail polish remover and a eye glass cleaning cloth that reckoned it didnt leave any material behind when it was used. Seems to do the trick but am just about to move to some more extreme overclocking and would appreciate some advice...

whilst I'm on the ocing stuff has anybody used dust filters on there case fans and noticed a serious increase in temp?? I want to fit them as I smoke and house is just old and full of dust.
    'We apoligise for the inconvienience' Gods final message to his creations.

Registered User Guysdrinkingbeer's Avatar

Well, as for "goop" removal I have always used isopropyl alcohol. The less water inside the better. Keep using the a cloth that is lint free, I believe you said you are using an eye glass cleaning cloth. I have tried using a filter for dust and it makes the case temp. go up about 2+ F. Well worth it. I have seen a great many CPU fans get caked with dust. If you can afford, a hepa filter or a static filter work great in a computer room. It is heavy pollen time here, the house is always dusty, but the computer room is almost dust free.
    There is one more thing that you may want to consider. I read on an overclocking forum about polishing a heat sink to a mirror finish before mounting it. They recommend using a piece of glass while sanding to get the flattest surface. There is more to it then that but, hopefully it will be a direction to go in.
    Good luck.
    "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on the cover.

Hi, I should have said that I tried to find isopropyl alcholh locally but noone had heard of it, so am useing the polish remover as a sub. I tried chemists and hardware stores for the alchol any else who ight stock stuff??

Mineral spirits might be a better alternative than nail polish remover. That should be available at any paint store.
    I dont feel tardy...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by vapd:
    <strong>Hi, I should have said that I tried to find isopropyl alcholh locally but noone had heard of it</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's pretty strange. You might be able to find some at a Drug Store if there are some rather large ones around...
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

Isopropyl alcohol is the same a "Rubbing Alcohol" for the people who don't have a clue that you were talking to. It is available pretty much in every Walgreens, Jewel, Target, WalMart, ETc..........
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

thanks for advice folks, I will try some more. Unfortunatly this is a tiny (and mainly tourist based) town (26,000) and finding a decent screwdriver is a pain. You know, I went into the main local pc shop and asked the 'techs' what they used to clean heatsinks etc of old compound and they said they used a rag.....

you get the picture.

I customise bikes some times so have always got a geasey old kitchen scrubber around.. this always does the trick for me especially when the thermal compound is really caked on.. failing that try using a bathroom towel prefrably a sopping wet one with some shampoo to get the smell just right..

Sorry Andre couldn't resist that one.. and by the way anyone else who's reading this drivel DO NOT use a sopping wet towel and definately do not use a grease stained scrubbing pad for removing thermal compound.
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->

Thumbs up

Isopropyl alcohol, an acid brush and a heat gun. Then wipe it clean with a lint free cloth.

Concerning the alcohol, isopropyl is rated at 80% or something similar. Avoid using the "rubbing alcohol" that you get at your local WalMart, etc. as it will have excess water moisture and impurities...leaving a film behind. You can buy Electronic Grade Isopropyl from a good electronics store (not your local Rat Shack.) It is filtered of impurities, etc. Try here: <a href="http://www.lmcomp.com/80055.html" target="_blank">http://www.lmcomp.com/80055.html</a>
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Guysdrinkingbeer:
    <strong>There is one more thing that you may want to consider. I read on an overclocking forum about polishing a heat sink to a mirror finish before mounting it. They recommend using a piece of glass while sanding to get the flattest surface. There is more to it then that but, hopefully it will be a direction to go in.
    Good luck.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is true, its known as lapping. Heres a link for it. <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000777&p=" target="_blank">http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000777&p=</a>
    Current Specs
    1*Asus Maximus Formula, Q6600, 4GB DDR2, BFG 8600 GTS OC2, Raptor 80Gb, XP 32/64 bit, Vista 32/64 bit
    2*Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon64X2 4200+, 2GB DDR, PX6800GT, Raptor 80Gb, 400Gb, 320Gb, 300Gb, XP Pro + Vista
    3*Asus K8V-MX, Sempron 3000+, 512Mb DDR, 80Gb Raptor, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    4*HP Pavillion, Athlon64 3400+, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 440 GO 64M, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...az/userbar.gif

Banned

i,m afraid in the UK we have not got the stores u mentioned , so as an alternative i would suggest (as i use - if nessesarry) , methalated spirits, but as u know that is not legal , and u have to buy de-mineralised m/spirits ,,,,,local "boots" etc IN THE UK , (normal m/spirits is banned coz the local wino,s found it cheaper , and caused explosions ,at the post - mortoms)

as well as the above , I use my t-shirt , to wipe it off ,

and PS if u are thinking of reading the posts RE: lapping the HSF ,,,,,then turn your machine off and get a right good *ankers cramp for 24-36 Hrs,

with the AMD prosessors the pressure on the HSF is so great that it marks it , for the sake of £9-20 , just buy a new one , (unless u want *ankers cramp)

Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DonJ:
    <strong>Isopropyl alcohol, an acid brush and a heat gun. Then wipe it clean with a lint free cloth.

Concerning the alcohol, isopropyl is rated at 80% or something similar. Avoid using the "rubbing alcohol" that you get at your local WalMart, etc. as it will have excess water moisture and impurities...leaving a film behind. You can buy Electronic Grade Isopropyl from a good electronics store (not your local Rat Shack.) It is filtered of impurities, etc. Try here: <a href="http://www.lmcomp.com/80055.html" target="_blank">http://www.lmcomp.com/80055.html</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">taking the Piss ,,,, the guys in the UK , the firm u suggest quote $4.75 for the product and $60.00 for carrage to the UK,,,,,

PLEASE before suggesting things ,,,,LOOK where the guy is posting from !!!!!!!!

Well thanks for all the input people. I found some isopropyl in a local chemist but dont know how pure it is. Guess its better than nail polish remover or meths thou. As for sanding down the heatsink, I dont have to worrey about that as have bought an Alpha h.s. that seems very smooth nway. Will try some uk electronics stores for grade isopropyl...

Try Maplins VAPD, they do most things like that... Good Luck,
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

The stuff you use to clean vinyl records that comes in those little containers is isoprophanol. You should be able to get isoprophanol at a good chemists - if you tell him /her what its for and only require a few mils they should sell it to you.

Nail varnish remover is acetone with oils... you will need to degrease the proc now.

Failing all else, make friends with a tv and video repairman, we used to go through tons of the stuff cleaning video heads!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."