P2 450 with rivoted on heat sink?

Thread: P2 450 with rivoted on heat sink?

Post P2 450 with rivoted on heat sink?

I pulled it out of the old computer after the pwrsup died. The heat sink looks like it is rivoted onto the back plate of the slot 1 processor. I want to use it, but I can't get the right idea on how to get a fan mounted to it properly. Is that normal of the first gen of P2 slot 1 processors? Can the plate it is attached to be removed safely? Is there anybody who's seen what I'm talking about? Should I give up on the processor?
    I'd like to replace a celeron 466 with this P2 450 on a Asus P3V4X board, but I am baffled at how to get this processor cooled down. The current pwrsup is a 250 watt pwrsup without the cooling fan that blows down on the processor. Any ideas would be helpful.

Wes
    God is all knowing, I am just human.

Sounds like you have a retail boxed P2 450 to me and the simple answer is if it is a retail boxed CPU and less than 3 years old & the fan has failed, Intel should replace it for you. If it is an OEM P2 450 with the thermal plate on it (which has got some notches cut out into it for installation of a HSF which grabs into these notches & is secured by moving a couple of levers on the HSF itself, then you will need to get a new HSF for it. If it is this type, don't get a SECC-2 HSF which requires four holes actually drilled through the CPU PCB and is attached by a slide on plate on teh reverse side.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Thanks Darren. It looks like it might be that slid on pate thing you mentioned, but I can't find any latches to slide it off. It came out of an old, don't laugh, Gateway machine. The powersupply and board failed after a few years of service, and I'd like to use it, but cooling it is my problem.

Any more ideas?

Wes

It looks like I can't slide that plate off, so I guess I'll have to get some fans, bend the fins in to hold onto the screws and give that a try. Anybody done it that way? If you have, please tell me what fans I should be looking to get to keep this P2 450 cooled down.

Wes

Before you do anything, could you post a pic of it here first just to make certain (both front & back of chip)??
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Once I get adding the jpg's figured out, I'll have them up.

Wes

Requested pics (I hope this works)

I hope this worked.

It looks to me like it has been taken from a Gateway/Compaq or other large OEM system, as these were the only people to really use non-active cooling. If you are very careful, you could drillthe rivets out slowly, but finding another HSF may be difficult. These CPU's don;t really need a fan on the Heatsink if the case has a 80mm fan nearby to it (say directly above it taking the hot air out), but a fan is always a good idea.

Gotta find another fan. I tried the fan that came with my socket A cooler for my 1GHz T-bird, but it is too big. The case is a baby AT tower. The slot has the top of the processor barely touching the pwrsupply. The Heat sink just does avoid the first dimm that's installed. I've got a fan from a socket 370 cooler that is just the right size. The socket A fan either hits the DIMM or the pwrsupply so I can't use it. When I go buy another fan like the one I know works, how do I measure it to determine which one to buy? Do I measure the outside length for a 40 or 50mm fan, or should I measure based on the fan length from the tip of one blade to the tip of the opposite blade? The outer measurement of the fan that works is 1 15/16th inches long. Anymore than that, and I can't fit it in.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Wes

Measur the actual fan enclosure, which should be around 40-50mm, although you may be able to get away with a 60mm fan (which would serve a better purpose). If you have to go with a 40mm fan, then fit at least 2 to the Heatsink to get a reasonable temperature.

I've been leaning toward 2 fans or trying to squeze 3 of them on the heat sink due to each fan providing less than 10cfm each. Since getting a new HSF with a delta 60mm fan, I would not settle for much less than 20cfm for any processor I have. I have been extremely happy with my new HSF, and I have to attribute some of it's performance to the fan. 2 fans is my minimum for this P2450, but 3 would be the best. I can't put an 80mm fan on the side as the processors air flow out of the case is partially blocked by the pwrsupply.
    Thanks for the help DW, I hope some others find some of it helpful too.

Wes