NTFS

Thread: NTFS

Post NTFS

I have several clients who had machines built for them with WIN2K installed. The problem is the machines were formated for FAT32 instead of NTFS. Acording to the instructions I have read in the Help sections, the system can be converted to NTFS through certain commands. My question is: how reliable is this conversion and is there the possibility of data loss through this conversion? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

use partition magic. I have done the file system format change and not had any loss of data, but I did it with just the o/s and a few apps installed.

No data loss. Just type in convert [drive:] /fs:ntfs (where Drive: is your hard drive, most likely C and let it do the rest. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I have never lost a partition using the convert c: /fs:ntfs command
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

The convert command will transfer it with no problem.

However one thing before you do it. Make backups of everything. The convert command is a one way street you cannot revert back to FAT32 once it is completed. I figured Id mention it since thats one of the behaviors of convert.

If you really fear data loss then do a complete backup before you proceed. Convert is reliable but theres always a chance something could go wrong, so youll have the backup just in case.

Theres my $0.02
    You mean something broke and you didn't break it? ~ ZIM
    I know I'm scared too. ~ GIR

Convert is the way to go. Easy and reliable. Remeber though, whenever you make ANY changes to the files system you must backup, backup and backup... oh did i mention backup?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks everyone. The client does have everything backed up and I intend to use Ghost to create an image. (Play it safe) SInce this is an accountants PC I wanted to verify. Thanks to everyone.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

The only other thing I would recomend, the use of a battery backup when running the convert command. The last thing you want is an unexpected reboot during the process...

I've done this many times with no problems. One caveat is that while it converts the partition, it does not apply the default NTFS permissions. This is fairly easy to do (once you've found the right knowledge base article, Q237399). The command to reapply the default permissions for Professional is:
    Secedit /configure /db c:\winnt\security\database\cvtfs.sdb /Cfg c:\winnt\inf\defltwk.inf /areas filestore
    I've also used this many times without any hiccups, and you end up with a machine set the same as if it had been formatted NTFS during install.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go