need to upgrade OS on Thinkpad

Thread: need to upgrade OS on Thinkpad

Post need to upgrade OS on Thinkpad

One of our laptops, the one I primarily carry is an not too ancient IBM Thinkpad 600. I have been using Windows 95 as my OS because up until now, it has meet my needs as far as what I use this laptop for. Now it seems that I need to upgrade to atleast 98 if I wish to download a few new desired programs. I have a lot of old clutter too which I have been meaning to clean up as well. So timing is good. Anyone think I may be bringing on a headache by doing this task? Thought I would go to the ones who would know best. ***Wink wink*** Thanks!
    "We have no time for rational solutions."- G.Carlin

[quote]Originally posted by mustangjenni:
    <strong>One of our laptops, the one I primarily carry is an not too ancient IBM Thinkpad 600. I have been using Windows 95 as my OS because up until now, it has meet my needs as far as what I use this laptop for. Now it seems that I need to upgrade to atleast 98 if I wish to download a few new desired programs. I have a lot of old clutter too which I have been meaning to clean up as well. So timing is good. Anyone think I may be bringing on a headache by doing this task? Thought I would go to the ones who would know best. ***Wink wink*** Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't think you should have too many problems with upgrading. But then again, I don't know best. Better wait for someone else but I think they will say the same
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

if you are going to do this. download all the drivers for your notebook and put them on the network or on floppy disk first. nothing more annoying than installing a new o/s and then finding out you need to download drivers for your modem before it will work to let you download video and sound drivers.

Yeah, so far the drivers are the only suggestion that anybody has said I may run into a problem with. I appriciate the feeback and will let everyone know how it went when I am able to install 98 this weekend.
    "We have no time for rational solutions."- G.Carlin

Ditto on the drivers.

I upgraded a 750c from Win3.1 to Win95 and encountered all sorts of really interesting things with "official" drivers.

Make sure you can have *exactly* the right drivers for your graphics, sound devices and modem/NIC.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Drivers, Drivers Drivers, get ehm all before you start, other than that, you won't have a hitch.. IBM designs the laptops to work with windows, NEVER had a problem installing an OS. Chances are though that win98 will pick up most of the hardware. My puppy took to XP like a duck to water.. Everything was detected.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Rudders

Wink

I do know that Win2K works well on these machines, but make sure you have over 128MB in there first!
    Avoid WinNT and Me

98 or 98SE should be fine though as far as I can tell.

Linux would be best, but you will need those Windoze progs to run! :-(

Rudders

My best reccomendation, would be to download all drivers, and backthem up on CD-R if possible. Also, backup any data and do a complete format/install. You can boot from the Win 98 disk, so you don't need to worry about that (Unless your laptop dosn't support boot to CD). First thing would be to find any info on IBM's webpage, which can be a bit of a pain if you're not used to their site. PM me if you'd like any further personal assistance.

Our office orders the IBM l/t's for our marketing staff and I have had no problem on any os changes; the IBM web site is not bad in directing you to the correct drivers. Look on the bottom of your laptop for the "type" and input that into a search on the web site and it should return the correct link. Good Luck.
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Drivers are the key, which i think you already know, but if it is possible to upgrade to 2000 most of the driver are usually there already and even more with XP.

WIN2K WORKS LIEK A CHARM, ALL THE DRIVERS ARE THERE. IF U NEED HELP EMAIL ME AT [email protected]. WHY AM I TELLING? I HAVE NO IDEA TOO MUCH COFFEE
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"