Weirdo problems with reported free space.

Thread: Weirdo problems with reported free space.

Post Weirdo problems with reported free space.

I got done doing a bit of self cleanup on my drive, and after all was said and done I had 14.5 gigs free of my 20 gig drive.

I then ran disk defragmentor and after about an hour or 2 it was done and I rebooted.

After the reboot my free space had changed from 14.5 gigs free to only 8.3 free.

How is this possible?

I didn't do anything other than reboot and then check to see how much space I have.

My temp internet files and recycle bin are empty, and disk cleanup tells me there is only 25 megs worth if junk it can remove.

I have heard of viruses that can inflate the size of a file when opened, but I ran Norton 2002 and nothing was found. Also, like I said I didn't open anything after rebooting.

Can someone clue me in here as to what is happening? I'm confused, and peeved at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated, thanx.
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

I wouldn't like to guess, but there is a nice trial utility called diskdata that graphically represents your files and folder showing you where the disk space is being used. <a href="http://www.digallery.com/" target="_blank">This is the home page, you want the second utility - diskdata</a>
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nifty little program, it did help me to locate some big problem areas and I managed to free up 2 gigs of stuff I didn't need, but that still leaves me 4 gigs short of what it told me I had. Could this have just been an error because my drive was so fragmented?
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

I had this same scenerio recently while clearing mass ammounts of files off my work hard drive as a slave drive attached to my home pc, where it said I only had like 4 gigs free when I knew it was closer to 11 gigs. (I cleared a lotta space ) Basically it wasn't reporting the free space that I had just cleared.

When I ran scandisk and defrag on it, it came up saying that "scandisk has found an error with the amount of free space being reported" and also found some file fragments, I don't know why yours is not finding this; in fact this is from my c:\scandisk.log

[quote]Log file generated at 13:29 on 3/23/2002.

ScanDisk used the following options:
    Standard test

Drive Win 98 [D :] contained the following errors:

ScanDisk found 868352 bytes of data in 9 lost file fragment(s).
    Resolution: Convert the lost file fragment(s) into file(s)
    Results: Error was corrected as specified above.

The drive contained an error in its FSInfoSector.
    Resolution: Repair the error
    Results: Error was corrected as specified above.

ScanDisk found errors on this drive and fixed them all.

-------------------<hr></blockquote>
    I think the FSInfoSector entry is refering to the file system free space.

I would suggest running scandisk again to see if it finds the problem this time, now that it has had a chance to rest from all the file moving
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded