[RESOLVED] Wininit.exe/.ini problems with IE6

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wininit.exe/.ini problems with IE6

apd183

Post Wininit.exe/.ini problems with IE6

Alright, I did some research on this, and i've reached a roadblock. The usual me, I wanted to check out the new IE6. It downloads fine and installs fine. Then it restarts. It tries to update the system files but instead gives me a "Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2 %1: %2" error message for every file that is supposed to being changed. I searched Knowledge Base and found this article: http://support.microsoft.com/support...&fr=0&ln=EN-US Q283069.

I check it out and there is no .ini file because I hadn't just installed the program and a new one hadn't been created. After wininit.exe process an wininit.ini file it copies it to wininit.bak and deletes it, and if errors occured it writes information to wininit.err. I tried replacing the wininit.exe file from cab 17 and reinstalling IE6, but still no success. Then I searched google.com and found information on a virus(trojan) http://www.pchell.com/virus/wininit.shtml and the syntax of the wininit.ini file http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q140/5/70.ASP Q140570. I check out both. I don't have the virus, and the order of the syntax in the file I have looks fine:

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">[Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACTXPRXY.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACTXPRXY.DLL=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\S ET2115.TMP
    </font>
    NUL= is supposed to delete the file actxprxy.dll, and set2115.tmp is supposed to be renamed to actxprxy.dll. These individual files have no relevance to the problem. After changing the syntax of the file, changing the order of the file, and running the wininit.exe file from dos on a boot up disk to no avail, I finally manually changed the files, and everyting worked fine.

Each time I tried something different I would have to go through the setup wizard again so that the intallation would be expecting the files to change, otherwise IE would work with the 5.5 files that it couldn't change, although some features didn't work.

Everything works now, but I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to why this didn't work.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help.

Dell Inspiron 5000e
    P3 700/550
    256mb ram
    Win ME, waiting for XP...

MacGyver

If you cleaned out the Temp directory before wininit had a chance to run, that would mess things up pretty good. But you didn't do that. I don't have any other ideas why this happened.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

apd183

OK, let me clear some things up. Now that I've read it several times, I see where I left out some things.

My WININIT.EXE file will still not process my .ini file, that has not been fixed. What works now is IE6. In other words, if I tried to install another program, it wouldn't work. That's why i'm posting here... for the future.

Also, I checked to make sure that none of the folders were read only. I can change stuff, but the WININIT.EXE says it can't.

About the Micro$oft article Q140570 that tells me to delete the .ini file, I tried deleting it after it was created by the IE setup, but then nothing would happen because there was no file to process (duh ).

I haven't contacted Dell yet because their help program isn't working on my computer, and I already know their answer: System Restore! I have turned that off because it was eating up my 10gig HD.

Thanks!

Angry

OK...I'm reviving this topic from the dead cause I have some more info, for anyone who wants to throw out any ideas.

I decided that I would re-install the OS to see if it would fix the problem. After copying the install files and restarting, the same error came up (%1:%2...) cause the OS had files to change/delete. There are too many of them (as well as some different commands) for me to do manually. So now, my OS and IE is all screwed up, but it's working for now...

Also, IE6 was the first thing I reinstalled after I installed Office XP. Does anyone know of any problems like this with Office XP? I haven't found any.

My final decision is to format and reinstall, but I'm waiting for someone to lend me their cd burner so I can back up some files, so I just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas that I could try before A:\>format c:

Thanks for any info!
    Free the Freaks!

Search your computer for WININIT.EXE. If it's just in windows, your ok. If it's in windows\system.....congratulations...it's a virus! Sounds like you might have the old Bymer Scanner virus to me. You might also search for W32. I've had this stupid little virus all but halt computers and networks because it's running a search for other computers routine.

Thumbs up

The file is in c:\windows. I've already checked all of the places where the aforementioned virus would leave traces and didn't find anything. I've also replaced the wininit.exe file from the cab. Thanks, though.
    Free the Freaks!

As much as I HATE to have anyone, or do this myself, it sounds like you may want to format and start all over again. When and if you format I would FDISK /U to completely clear the drive first because it sounds like something is really screwed up somewhere. That computer isn't on a network by any chance is it?....

Yeah, I'm going to clear the drive as soon as I get a cd burner from a friend to backup some stuff. It is on a network, though.

This is the main reason i'm reformatting, but i'm also having trouble with network settings (it's in another old post...) and my touchpad has decided to go crazy on me , so it's time for format c:
    Free the Freaks!

One last thing you might try is to run the upgrade one more time, but disconnect the computer from the network first.....Have you run a virus check on the other computers on the network?.....If all else fails C:\format C:...

The thing with reinstalling the os (I think that's what you're saying there...) over the one that is messed up is that it uses the wininit file to install a massive amount of components...more than I want to or can do manually . I've done several virus checks from different programs and nothing comes up. I've also tried off the network.

Thanks for the help. I'm goning to back up sometime mid-week and then be down for about a day as I reinstall.

Oh, how much fun this is...
    Free the Freaks!