Floppy drive not working

Thread: Floppy drive not working

Post Floppy drive not working

I was running win98 and my floppy had stopped working some time ago. I had checked all topics listed here and no help. I now upgraded to winme to see if that would help. Still nothing. My floppy works in safe mode and in dos but not in win98 or winme. I have tried using device manager to remove it. Is there anyone out there with any other ideas??? This is a REALLY anoying problem.

Thanks

what do you mean by stopped working? is it that you cannot read one disk (if so try another)... is the disk formatted? is the drive set up in the bios (sometimes it loses config, if the battery is running down).
    if all else fails, get a new drive, they're really cheap (£9 sterling). make sure you plug the cable correctly!

i would not have "upgraded" to ME, but thats personal choice
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

You may have a setting in the BIOS worded something like "Report no FDD to Win95". Make sure it's not enabled. You can also disable the floppy controller in the BIOS, restart the computer. There should be no floppy controller or drive in device manager. If still there then remove, reboot again untill the devices are gone. Then go back to the bios and enable it. Windows should find it. If not, assuming the drive is good (also, can you boot from the drive? Check that first to make sure the drive is good). Anyway, your last resort is to venture out into the unknown and edit the Registry.

Get a new floppy drive. Don't be cheap,... get a good one.
    Hello World

There is nothing wrong with the floppy. It works just fine in DOS and windows safe mode. I have checked the bios and I have tried removing it in device manager several times and it still will not work. Does anyone know where in the registry I should start looking?

Question

step 1: shut down machine and unplug machine
    step 2: unplug floppy drive
    step 3: plug back in machine and boot into ME
    step 4: shut down and unplug machine
    step 5: plug back in floppy drive
    setp 6: plug in machine and boot up

If this doesn't work, go into safe mode/system and check to see if there are multiple floppy drives installed(no, you can't see them in normal mode). Delete them all and reboot.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Red face

I agree often times, if there are multiple floppies it can cause resource conflicts.
    Another big thing is BIOS. I have had
    situations where some older bios dont have the luxury to auto-detect and "plug and play" and had to manually assign IRQ's and so on. I would check in the BOX first and then BIOS.
    Goodluck
    Asopalav
    Cant wait for Pentium 18