DSL works finally, but is very very slow

Thread: DSL works finally, but is very very slow

Post DSL works finally, but is very very slow

Finally, after actually getting a helpful Earthlink tech on the phone, and after he finally, "flipped the switch" my dsl works now. But it's very very very slow. I tested the download speed by downloading a file from my website. I got about a 1kbps download speed. Any and all webpages load really slow. The tech said that I'm showing about a 30% packet loss with 5% considered bad. So I told him I'd try some things around the house (change cables, unplug phones, etc.) and see if anything would help. But is there some settings or anything else I could try that could possibly fix this? Just to give you all and idea of how slow it is,.. I'm using my 56k dialup right now because it's much faster.
    Hello World

It's hard to say. I'm more farmiliar with cable technology (it's what i support t work). A few things to do though.

Reinstall TCP/IP
    Remove any D/L accelerators
    force your NIC to 10 megs full duplex
    reinstall your NIC drivers.
    Reinstall Dial-up networking.
    Try different DSL software (some are better than others. I'd recommend RASPPPOE)
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

you need to find where the packets are being dropped. Try pinging the modem's IP and then the ISP gateway's IP from your machine. Watch the packet loss stats and see where the problem begins. Or go <a href="http://www.dslreports.com/tools" target="_blank">Here</a> and run the line packet loss test, you'll need to sign up, but it's free. When completed it will give you a pingplot and tracert with response times and loss ratios. That will show you where the trouble lies. If it's in the last 2 steps, the problem is inside your house (usually) otherwise it's the ISP's baby....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Hey go to <a href="http://www.dslreports.com" target="_blank">www.dslreports.com</a> and run their tweak test. Chances are you don't have your RWIN settings right. They tell you what would be acceptable and give you a utility to make all the changes. They also have a bandwith tester. Check em out. If ya have any questions there are forums there (or you could just ask me )
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

DSLReports rules.

I've used it to tweak my previous Win2000 machine and was testing downloads at close to 1Mbps

Haven't tested it with WinXP yet, but I'm on it this evening.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Good news. It's running smoothly right now. I just checked my speed and it's running around 308 kbits/sec. I'm downloading the latest J2SDK right now, and it's downloading at around 40kbps. Not sure why it's working great now and not last night, but hey,... I'm not complaining. I'm just stoked that it finally works. And also, thanks for all the helpful comments you guy's. Those are some great advice comments, and i'm going to do all that stuff too and see if this thing will go any faster if it's optimized correctly.
    Hello World

If your running a 1 meg mdm, your only geting about 30% of your speed potential, I'd call tech support and see what's up.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Here's what I just got from DSLReports.com as far as line speed goes, and this is after running the tweak software. I think this is about as good as it's gonna get...

Test running..........
    ** Speed 324(down)/109(up) kbps **
    (At least 6 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Logging result
    Finish.
    Hello World

Try here:

<a href="http://www.speedguide.net" target="_blank">http://www.speedguide.net</a>

I just had my cable broadband installed and the connection was very slow indeed. The cable tech went to the above site and downloaded a patch to fix my w2k reg and now my connection speed is faster than the speed of light

PS: You can also test your speed here:

<a href="http://www.solutions4sure.com/speed.asp" target="_blank">http://www.solutions4sure.com/speed.asp</a>
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

Here are my results on a 1 meg mdm

Test starting...
    Average throughput: 1014 kilobits/sec
    Total Time: 8272 milliseconds
    Done.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

[quote]Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong>If your running a 1 meg mdm, your only geting about 30% of your speed potential, I'd call tech support and see what's up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's probably not running 1mbps he's probably running in the 750kbps area but still your not running at peak performance. What is your rated speed from your ISP?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Did you try the packet loss report at DSLreports?
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

I asked a friend to ping my dynamic IP address, and he said it's showing up as 0% loss right now. I'll go try the packet loss test at DSLR though. Also, Earthlink advertised 1.5mbps down speed, but I'm only showing about 320ish from DSLR. This is about normal though because the further away you are from the slam station the slower the speeds get which is normal. But hey,.. I'm totally satisfied now with the speeds. Sorry for the misleading thread title. That was from last night, but today all is good.
    Hello World

Test running..........
    ** Speed 1177(down)/1308(up) kbps **
    (At least 23 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Finish.

from work, T1

[quote]Originally posted by Fubarian:
    <strong>Test running..........
    ** Speed 1177(down)/1308(up) kbps **
    (At least 23 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Finish.

from work, T1</strong><hr></blockquote>

You suck!!!! j.k. Man I wish I had that kind of connection here at home.