overclocking AMD K6 233 MHz - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: overclocking AMD K6 233 MHz

Cool

I know this post is about overclocking the processor but.... most people overclock to make their system run faster. You have not stated you system specs so I will be guessing. If you are running EDO SIMMS switch to SDRAM DIMMS. Faster memory = faster system. I went from 32MB EDO to 128MB SDRAM and almost doubled the computers speed. Enable DMA to relieve processor usage. There are a lot of different ways to make the computer faster without burning up the CPU.
    That said, if you are ready to buy a new one anyway and want to see how fast it will go then have at it. Also remember when you overclock the FSB it runs the rest of the system faster also. While this can be OK it does put more stress on the whole system.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

I had a K6-233 running on a 100 MHz bus at 250MHz (100 x 2.5) for ages with no problems. I don't know about 263 though (75 x 3.5). As Ruslan says, I wouldn't try raising the Volts on that chip, I didn't, and it didn't run any hotter at 250. Higher Volts will make it run hotter though.

Other things may be affected also by running the bus at 75 MHz, memory, the PCI/AGP bus, I've had the odd board which had I/O problems with the bus at 75.

The faster bus speed will give more performance boost than just overclocking the CPU.