[RESOLVED] Information request

Thread: [RESOLVED] Information request

gbabajee

Exclamation Information request

i would like to kow which brand od Hard Disk drive is better?

Quantumm or Seagate?

Thanks

Darren Wilson

This sounds familiar

Seagate. Quantum are now owned by Maxtor, which does not make them a bad drive, but I have had very, very few Seagate drives die on me or customers, but Quantums, I went through 6 in 8 weeks personally with the drives just clunking & then giving up with a BSOD ' Unable to write to Drive C'. Funny thing was it was only Quantum drives that would cause this error. After changing them to Seagates, I never see another !!!!

Thumbs up

Well, here on Da Island, we are limited in choice, so we really only have Maxtors readily available, so thats what we go for, I have 6 of them running in my system for 2 years now and all well...(knock on wood, or coconut tree) :-)
    Would you Like Batteries with that?

I like western Digital and Seagate. Everyone has told me Western Digitals fail, but I haven't had one yet. I know Seagates tend to be very good for me too.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

I agree with Darren ,I went through two Quantums last week at the school. Same scenerio...clunk, clunk, BSOD...unable to write to C:
    I'd vouch for Seagates also, I have had no problems with them.

I like Seagates. They have been pretty reliable. I heard that Maxtors are good but I have a bad taste in my mouth from the older models that used to screech. Too loud, and in my opinion in computers loud is bad.

I prefer the WD's. The 5400 RPM series was going downhill, we had several failures. Switched to the 7200 series and have had much greater success. Dont have alot of experience with Quantum or Seagate(except SCSI) but have had terrible luck with Maxtors. Also have a good track record with IBM's.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

My opinion on Maxtor ( the new owners of Quantum ) can't be repeated here, young ears don't need to learn that sort of language.

Seagate on the other hand are good solid clunkers with a good RMA policy if things go wrong. With Seagate it has to be either the Cheeter or Baracuda range forget the U5 range to slow.

If you want the best then Go for an IBM H/D expensive but by far the best out there at the moment. and their SCSI drive are great never had a failure with one yet, some thing I can't say for any other make I have fitted.
    WW

I have owned one Western Digital, one Samsung drive and two Maxtors. To be honest I like more the WD's, they are quieter and seem to give better benchmarks in Sandra than the Maxtor and Samsung. None of them have failed on me (considering that the Samsung is 3 years old...), but if I were to buy a new one I'd go with the Western Digtal. (IBM's too expensive for me...)
    Believe me...Fixing up Windows is a lot harder that healing any illneses...

I have had the least amount of problems with Seagate, IBM and Maxtor drives.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

i got IBM deskstars in my new pc. had an ibm 9gig in my last pc (still working, as a backup server)
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Talking

Well...Fujitsu drives are the on;y ones I use...5400 or 7200...I have used all types and found that most work well...Quantum anything...NO GOOD...Western digital Hmmm...Nope to slow...I have try and timed three machine using the same parts in all except the HDD (Maxtor, Western Digital, Fujitsu...ran a win98se preinstall all at the same time...the machine with the Fujitsu HDD finished about 1:30 before the rest maxtor finished second and WD finished 45 seconds after the Maxtor...SO FUJITSU FOR ME
    "GOOD 2 GO"