Networking with XP at Home Ed.

Thread: Networking with XP at Home Ed.

Post Networking with XP at Home Ed.

I have a client that has Windows XP home on his laptop. We would like to have it join our domain, or workgroup as it is called in XP home. I am a little lost as how to do this in XP. He can access the internet and his email on our Linux email server, so I know it isn't a connectivity issue. He isn't prompted to enter a network password. Can you point me in the right direction?

You cannot connect to a domain with XP Home Edition. You will have to have him install Windows XP Professional... Home edition can only do simple networking, like peer-to-peer.

Sorry...
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

You cannot JOIN a domain with the HOME version, but you can connect to and use network resources.

Home also does not support Group Policy.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

HOW? How do I connect to use network resources? The problem I am having is that I can get the client connected but he loses his connection when he reboots. Says "spooler service is not started" even though I started it twice and got him able to print twice. Thanks for the help!!

I would recommend getting him to buy Pro. Home is for Home users, Pro is for Professional or business users. I am having hard time seeing the confusion people seem to be having.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

The only other way I know is to connect your home edition to the workstation on the domain via PC Anywhere.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.