win xp pro and new mobo probs

Thread: win xp pro and new mobo probs

Post win xp pro and new mobo probs

my old msi6330 mobo died, so i replaced it with a new K7S5A. i also have a 20gig HD with Win98SE and Win XP Pro on dual boot. Win98 works fine after installing the new board, WinXP Pro is another matter! When i select XP from the boot menu, it loads for a few seconds and then gives me a BSOD with a one line "Stop" error, and stuff about "try chkdsk, check your drive, check for viruses". basically its XP's way of saying "you've got a new mobo and i want nowt to do with it".

ok, i know i could do a clean install of XP, but its tweaked to high heaven and i don't want the hassle of installing progs again etc.

i know in Win98 that i can reinstall it over a previous copy and it will hold my old settings. Can i do the same with XP Pro? or better still, what can i do to get XP to like my new mobo and load!?!

thanks in advance.
    Win XP Pro, Athlon 1.2ghz, K7S5A mobo, Leadtek 64MB GeForce 4 Ti4200, 384MB Ram, 40gig Maxtor 7200 HD, Soundblaster 128

ok, problem solved. i trawled though the posts here, and found a reply from Sowulo from just before Xmas (!) on a similar issue.

i booted XP Pro again from CD, bypassed the "repair from recovery console" and went to install, it found my old WinXP folder, then selected repair, and now i'm back with all my settings! i was cautious as i didn't wanna lose anything, i didn't, c'est tout.

Thanks Sowulo, and hopefully this will help others with the same prob.
    Win XP Pro, Athlon 1.2ghz, K7S5A mobo, Leadtek 64MB GeForce 4 Ti4200, 384MB Ram, 40gig Maxtor 7200 HD, Soundblaster 128